Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
We have a strop here also, but Kenneth when he has time to do it up properly also always shaves with a straight razor otherwise if in a hurry he uses just the cheapest disposable he can find. He grew up watching his Granddad do it that way and just found the whole procedure with the mug, brush, and lathering up interesting and fascinating.
I have zero luck with a disposable razor, always cut myself and leave half the stubble behind. With my straight razor, nothing gets left behind and I never cut myself either but shaving with a straight razor does rake practice.

I've heard practicing on a balloon (inflated) works for a novice but I never did that. Just 'roughed it' until I learned. One thing about a straight razor is, you can feel each beard hair as it gets sliced off.

Being part Indian, I don't have to shave but once a week and '5 o'clock shadow' takes about 2 weeks to appear.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
We have a strop here also, but Kenneth when he has time to do it up properly also always shaves with a straight razor otherwise if in a hurry he uses just the cheapest disposable he can find. He grew up watching his Granddad do it that way and just found the whole procedure with the mug, brush, and lathering up interesting and fascinating.
Its the way I have been shaving for some 30 years. So long as I strop before and after I rarely have to take my razor to a stone. I have 2 strops .. one loaded with rouge and one naked. Mostly I just strop on the naked one. Now that I dont go out to work everyday I shave a lot less but I was able to get a great non irritating shave in half the time using my straight razor.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts