Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a Lansky for years, and still do but it's sometimes hard on large bladed knives. I've been use a Spyderco Sharmaker for the past few months with good (for me) results.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
I use a stone followed by a very fine ceramic stone. My 30 year old Buck 110 has never been dul and it holds an edge. Blade looks nearly new. I always was taught motorized sharpeners take the temper out of the knife’s edge and it gets dull faster so you sharpen more and then the knife isn’t any good. Am I missing something or just plain wrong.
I don't think you can get the steel hot enough with the Worksharp to ruin the temper, A grinder is another matter.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I used a Lansky for years, and still do but it's sometimes hard on large bladed knives. I've been use a Spyderco Sharmaker for the past few months with good (for me) results.
I just sharpened an 18” blade machete with one. You just have to move the blade a lot. It took me about 75 minutes to get to a razor edge. It will cut down a 3” tree with one or two whacks.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've had a Work Sharp for a couple of months. I bought mine used on flea bay for under $50 and I'm liking it pretty well. i started with some of the redheads crappy old kitchen knives and then worked up to the better stuff. You do have to watch what you're doing or you will take the point off the blade pretty quickly, but it does get a knife really sharp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Believe you've made an excellent choice.

I'm kind of a knife nut and have fooled with many different products over the years. Although I never tried this one, my "go to sharpener" is now the Darex hand held Field Sharpener made by the same company.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
I've got some ceramic rods that fit into a block of wood, at 15 degree angles each, made by Smith's. I bought two....one coarse, one fine. You sort of run the blade straight down these, while drawing the knife towards you. You alternate from side to side. They work pretty good ....once you get the hang of it! I got the others, that I mentioned before, on the first page, mainly for 'touch ups' in the field. I keep it in my Knapsack, along with emergency stuff, when I go for my day hikes. I seem to have varying luck with it though. I try to keep the blade straight when I pull it through......but sometimes I don't. Sometimes things don't work like they're supposed to! :D Bob

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
This gadget from Cabelas is made in Oregon. It uses small carbide belts to grind down any metal. A honing belt delivers a razor’s edge.

The coarse belt restores an abused edge. Two cassettes ensure the right angle for knives, scissors, etc. Belt changes take perhaps 30 seconds.

Not cheap at $89. But it flat works, and deserves the 5 star reviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MlkabgqYM

Tomatoes, oranges and an apple yielded thin slices on 3 knives I put to the test. View attachment 308553
What I failed to mention in my original comment is Darex makes the worksharp and they also make twist drill grinders. I have one of the professional models. Not cheap (500 bucks) but works well for 90% of the HSS twist drills I need to resharpen. The rest I sharpen offhand. All Darex products are good American made tools.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I saw a fascinating and cheap method to sharprn using a bench grinder on youtube.

The guy repurposed a bench grinder. Cut a thick piece of plywood in a circle, with hole for grinder shaft.

Put it on grinder, and used a lathe gouge to true it up so no inbalance. He turned the grinder away from himself, so his knife blade did not cut into the wood. A metal polishing compound was applied to the outer edge of the plywood. It produced a rapid high gloss polished edge on a knife blade which was literally razor sharp. Cut paper with multiple slow slashes.

He claimed it removed very little metal. Little pressure was applied.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've used Lansky products since they first came out in the 1970s. I wore out 2 sets of stones then went to diamond stones. I've worn 2 each of the course and extra course diamond stones. I'm not even going to mention the 2 boot boxes full of various stones, hones and steels. My wife likes a little 3 sided stone kit from Smoky Mountain Knife Works. She can keep a paring knife fairly sharp.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Knife sharpening is an art that I have never … quite … mastered. I do an okay job but I have a buddy who does it much better than I can. I have every knife sharpening system known to man, except for a belt sharpener. Maybe I need to get one just to fill out my collection. :)

My wife, who loves to cook, uses a chef's choice electric sharpener on her kitchen knifes and those things will cut you to the bone from 3" away. To be honest, she is probably a better knife sharpener than I am but I do it slower and with more style. :D

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have been sharpening for YEARS using diamond bench hones and arkansas stones. I am considered by friends to be pretty good. On Carbon steel knives I can make the edges sing. They cut before they touch the material! :)

However .. it takes a ton of time on some steels and at the moment I am having a devil of time trying to get the kind of edge I want on a Kukri I had to have for no good reason and have been considering this

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-sanders/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html

Pretty cheap especially with their 20% off coupon. The kukri has a convex edge and isnt responding well to flat stones.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I took a meat science class in college. Everyone learned how to put a razor’s edge on a butcher knife , except for me.

My dad could take his nothing $2 smithfield stone and then slice an atom in half with his pocket knife.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I gave up on sharpening knives...I just take them to the local Mennonite guy and he does a fantastic job for 3.00 a blade. :D

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
I use what you use Wendy, followed with a leather strop. Same one I use to hone my straight razor.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
For wild game work, I carry a Havalon replaceable blade outfitters knife. The blades are micro honed surgical steel and are stupid sharp. Havel Corporation provides surgical cutting instruments to the medical profession. If it's good enough to cut human tissue, it's good enough for me.

One has to be extremely careful with them. You can cut yourself and not even feel it. When the blade gets dull, you snap it off and snap on a new one.

·
Super Moderator
31,528 Posts
I use what you use Wendy, followed with a leather strop. Same one I use to hone my straight razor.
We have a strop here also, but Kenneth when he has time to do it up properly also always shaves with a straight razor otherwise if in a hurry he uses just the cheapest disposable he can find. He grew up watching his Granddad do it that way and just found the whole procedure with the mug, brush, and lathering up interesting and fascinating.

·
Registered
544 Posts
they make that sharpener in Ashland Or , which is about 40 miles from me I go up there a few times a month , I was thinking about stopping by and take a look at them

·
Registered
428 Posts
This works great for us:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

We already have more than a few Spyderco knives so the sharpener was a natural addition!
Yup! I've got one like that too.

I was up in Colorado and I was talking to an old guy that was sharpening knives for $5 at a street market. I told him my problem and his advice was to pick one system, use it exclusively and practice, practice, practice. Sound wisdom! I'm still no good at it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts