Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of two range officers getting our dept through qualification today and I got to do a bit of shooting myself. I qualified with my Ruger LCP (w/Crimson Trace laser) and with my Glock 23 with the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. It worked flawlessly by simply changing the .40 barrel and out and putting the 9mm barrel in and then using 9mm magazines. Pretty cool.

When I was done qualifying, I plinked a little. Here's 75 rounds at 21 feet:

I kinda felt like I was playing "Shoot out the star."

I still like how the 9mm barrel looks like a target bull barrel. $200 for the barrel and four new G19 mags. Pretty good deal for the ability to swap calibers and shoot cheaper 9mm ammo.

The other day I qualified with my EAA Witness, Colt Combat Elite, and Sig P220. I might just qualify with my S&W Model 40-1, but I might not too. I don't think I'll carry it, but I haven't shot it in awhile and this would be a great excuse....

·
Registered
786 Posts
Steve oja;n ... 75 shots against the bad guy's 6???? Isn't that a little, i don't know, unfair njgapjgj

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But Chris, look deep into his black, lifeless eyes...he's still pointing his gun at me! He just won't go down, it's like a nightmare!

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Come on Chris, he started out being "sensitive", look at the ones outside the box? I'm sure that was for the weepy-types in the audience, after that, he was simply showing off! :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
19,588 Posts
Steve,
What is the "standard" qualifying distance.
I've heard and read 7 Yds. and 10 Yds.
Is there a reason a Dept might choose one over the other.
This is coming from a non LEO, and I'm trying to get perspective on what distance I should be practicing at.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Gearchecker, most police shootings occur at 7 yards or less, as do most self defense situations. My department trains from as far as the 25 yard line, but the main course of fire is more concentrated on the 7 yard line and closer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gearchecker, I was just shooting at 7 yards for fun. Chris is right about most police shootings occurring at 7 yards or less, that's why the minimum distance is 7 yards. Here is our Illinois 50 round qualifying shoot:

@ 7 yards:

2 rounds from the holster.
2 rounds from the holster, reload, fire 2 more rounds.
2 rounds from the holster. (Total of 12 rounds fired so far.)

3 rounds from the holster.
3 rounds from the holster, reload, fire 3 more rounds.
3 rounds from the holster. (Total of 24 rounds fired so far.)

@ 15 yards:

3 rounds from the holster, reload, fire 3 more rounds.
6 rounds from the holster. (Total of 42 rounds fired so far.)

@ 25 yards:

6 rounds from the holste, reload and fired 2 more rounds (Total of 50 rounds for qualifying.)

A minimum score of 70% (350 out of 500 points) on the PTI yellow target is qualifying. One of our guys shot a 493 with his off duty Walther PPS 9mm. He was the high score of the day. I shot a 485 with my Glock.

·
Super Moderator
19,588 Posts
Thanks for the info on qualifying. It makes sense now.
That explains the 500 points very clearly. - GQ

·
Registered
786 Posts
Our department fires 39 rounds (glock 27=3 13 round magazines, empty chamber in the beginning.) We "administratively load" the first round of the first magazine into the chamber, and then reholster the weapon. our course of fire is as follows

25 yd line- 2 rounds, reholster
-2 rounds, reholster
-2 rounds, reholster
15 yard line- 2 rounds (double tap), reholster
-2 rounds (double tap), reholster
-2 rounds (double tap), reholster
-1 round, reload, 1 round from the knee
-2 rounds (kneeling) reholster while kneeling
-2 rounds (drawn from kneeling position, fired from kneeling position, reholster from kneeling position
15 yard line - 3 rounds (body armor drill- double tap to chest, one to head) reholster
-3 rounds (body armor drill) reholster
-3 rounds (body armor drill) reload, reholster
7 yd line -2 rounds (bring weapon to line of sight, do not use sights)
-2 rounds (" ")
-2 rounds (double tap)
-3 rounds (body armor drill)
5 feet -2 rounds (clear leather(( plastic)) and fire from hip, one handed, weak hand across chest, ready to push away if needed)
-2 rounds (" ")
qualifying is 30/39 within the silhouette

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.