Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the crappy news about ANTIFA and BLM becoming more and more aggressive, I realized I hadn’t really taken a good look at my long guns in quite some time, other than to recharge their desiccant containers, as compared to my handguns, which I handle fairly often, so I made a point to do it today. I found the Red Dot optic on my AR with dead batteries and I had no spares, they’ve been ordered. The finger pad switch on a 9MM Carbine had detached, so I fashioned new Velcro to fix it up. I have a Rock Island Semi-Auto 12 Gauge Tactical shotgun that I bought a couple of years ago, I realized I’ve never actually shot it, but I had outfitted it with a front white light and a Red Dot optic. After fiddling around with it, I decided to remove the Optic and reinstall the iron sights because with my need to wear glasses, I feel that in a night situation and under stress I’d do better with old fashioned sights. I may do the same with my AR because the fact is, I think for me personally now at this stage of life, I might need to undergo some extensive training to tactically shoot with an optic and I don’t see that happening. On the flipside to that, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that in the near future I may find myself keeping any or all of these and others close at hand depending on the worsening situation of our society. I hope I don’t have to, but if I do, I want to know they fit my needs. Until temperatures here drop below those of the surface of the sun, I might have to find out how I like the Rock Island Tactical shotgun during real time events…. Wish me luck, I’m sure I’ll need it! ;)

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I took my Ar out a couple nights ago and checked my red dot battery, then wiped down the steel parts with some oil. Figured I might as well check a couple while I was at it so I got my shotgun out and my 15-22. Just wiped down the shotgun and pumped the action a couple times.

·
Premium Member
10,738 Posts
Long gun without the long...

And yes... you can shoot it while the arm brace is folded. There is about a 10 inch flame that exits the 5 inch barrel behind the projectile. The recoil system is above the bolt in the receiver.

I tested it at 25 yards, and it was dead on grouping less than 4 inches handheld.

This is so maneuverable in hand that it's intimidating.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Last month was updating my gun inventory and while had them out cleaned the two Marlin 1895s and a Wards Western Field Shotgun. Figure they could all come in handy at certain times. The other Marlin is ported but the same.

·
Registered
13,400 Posts
I don't do pictures anymore and what I didn't loose in that boating accident last summer are all ready to rock and stay that way including the 22-250 bull barreled Savage with the ATN night vision scope. No batteries needed, runs on a LIPO battery pack that recharges USB. It's at 95%. The ATN is a wonderful night vision scope. Have the one that the BATFE wanted to know who all had one for whatever reason, I don't have a clue. Could be my Mini 14 with the 2 75 round drums too. They are full of 55 grain green tips. Just the ticket for small game. Sports a Schmidt and Bender side focus 4.5 x 18 x 80, or the Savage old style 11-111 338 Lapua with 10 round mags. All in very good health and all ready for anything that might come up. All great hunting guns and all the handguns too. All depends on the game animal.

Reactions: mrerick

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I considered a Del-Ton rifle kit $420 LGS had listed in Armslist but reasoned should have bought a rifle months ago. Also cost and availability of .223/5.56. stripped lower plus tools. Already have my Mossberg 500 , dads long JC Higgins and five handguns.

0416191309.jpg

·
Registered
13,400 Posts
Long gun without the long...

View attachment 476949

And yes... you can shoot it while the arm brace is folded. There is about a 10 inch flame that exits the 5 inch barrel behind the projectile. The recoil system is above the bolt in the receiver.

I tested it at 25 yards, and it was dead on grouping less than 4 inches handheld.

This is so maneuverable in hand that it's intimidating.
Geeze Marc, that thing is fugly......:D

Reactions: mrerick

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I wound NOT rely on any firearm I had not field tested even a brand new one. Too many duds right out of the box,including a few S&W products. Good idea to shake down the crew...

·
Registered
22,002 Posts
Check mine regularly to make sure everything functions well.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If things really go way down, have a nice handy service grade CMP M-1 Garand produced by Springfield right at the end of the series ... i.e., 5.9 million ... 2/56. It has been routinely excellent in function since I bought it. It is my birthday gun ... 1956. Only added nicer wood. With that and a bag full of clipped ammo, figure I'm set for anything that might arise. Most likely that would be alligators and possibly some of those pythons that have been showing up. If any other problem walked up to the front door ... I'll sit back with a cup of coffee and sic Wild Thang on them! Checked her for functionality last night. Big ole sweet hard as nails attack cat. She weighed 15 pounds last night. She's merciful. First she kills whatever she has grabbed. Only then does she proceed with her first love ... dissection! Does neat work. All the various parts of whatever she killed and dissected are always easy to find for proper disposal. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Good idea to check things out from time to time. I took my 2 AR carbines out last week with some mags I had not used. Had real issues with one (no name - should have been a clue) for the Radical Arms in 7.62x39. That mag may be a target next time. Also found the reticle had somehow tilted on a Bushnell red dot I have on my 9mm carbine. Need to replace it .

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Recently, I checked on my long guns, and found them to be in perfect condition. I decided to sell my Ithaca 37, I don't hunt much anymore, but I kept my Winchester 94 .30-30. Just in case I need to do some long range shooting (100 yds.) with the current 'revolution' taking place, in more "liberal" areas.....like mine!!! 🙄;) Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts