Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not nearly as gun-worldly as most of you, but I've never seen anything with them and I'm guessing that since they are associated mostly with "Target" shooters, anything under 4 inches wasn't considered worth the while, am I all wet with my theory?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've never seen anything with them and I'm guessing that since they are associated mostly with "Target" shooters, anything under 4 inches wasn't considered worth the while, am I all wet with my theory?
I'm not nearly as gun-worldly as most of you, but I've never seen anything with them and I'm guessing that since they are associated mostly with "Target" shooters, anything under 4 inches wasn't considered worth the while, am I all wet with my theory?

Hello Blackcloud
I thought I Heard Forum member Jim Ringing my Bell here. :lol: My First Year Registered Magnum has a Patridge Front sight and letter's as such, and there must have been a rear sight blade difference when these Patridge sights were used, as my Letter states that the rear sight blade Match's the Patridge Front sight it has. I found it a Little Odd having this Patridge sight when I first Bought it, But we have to remember that Early in 1935 The Baughmen front sight idea was not Born Yet, so I Guess that is why my Gun has one. Frank Baughman The Famed FBI Agent actually submitted his Sight idea to S&W when he Ordered his Registered Magnum, and they used it ever since. I Kind of like The Patridge sight on mine, and feel it adds to the Guns Over all Looks...So To answer your Question Here, Yes they did use patridge sights on some Guns with a barrel less than 4" as shown.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What more can I say but "WOW"!!! Maybe my question should have been specific to "regular" guns, not a classic that should be kept in safe storage at Fort Knox! lgnngp Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing them!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hi Blackcloud2,
This one probably doesn't count. This October 1934 38/44 Outdoorsman was modified with the barrel was cut to 3 3/4" and the existing patridge front sight was installed on the chopped barrel. I do not know when the wonderful 38/44 was mutilated but I think that it was in the 1950s or before.

Yes it is mutilated but it is still asweet prewar gun.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This one probably doesn't count.
Hello Jim
Sure it does, That is a Neat Looking Revolver you have there. I Personally Like that Looks and sight Picture of The Patridge style sights compared to The Baughman style. I Bet that One Barks Pretty good with a Hot 38-44 Load shot in her ? :shock: Regards, Hammerdown

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.