Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right forum but here goes: I have a 12 ga. shotgun with a smoothbore barrel and would like to measure the diameter at the business end. It is labeled as a full choke and the charts I've seen shows it should be right around .699". The upper jaws on the caliper I have are flat. Is there any way to estimate what the round bore would be using a flat jaw caliper?
What I'm doing is not rocket surgery, so I only need an approximation. I also don't wanna spend a bunch of dinero for a caliper I will use once. And no, I'm not gonna go out and buy one only to return it later. :D

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Is it just an outside caliper or a combo? Flat end or knife end?

If it has knife ends (like above) measure the OD then measure the thickness. ID= OD- 2 x thickness.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've always went by, if a dime won't fit in the muzzle of a 12gage, it's a full choke.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always went by, if a dime won't fit in the muzzle of a 12gage, it's a full choke.
It is a full choke. I'm gonna have it opened up to an improved cylinder.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it just an outside caliper or a combo? Flat end or knife end?

If it has knife ends (like above) measure the OD then measure the thickness. ID= OD- 2 x thickness.
Mine looks like that, but I didn't know they were called knife ends.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
How do you measure modified, improved cylinder & cylinder?
I'm going to have to get a little more technical to answer that.

I break out my readin specs, and read the writin what's writ on the barrel or screw in choke.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The top Knives are inside diameter
I realize that and I use the "top knives" for measuring inside flat surfaces. There are calipers available that are radiused for use on inside round surfaces. I can get a relatively close measurement with what I have.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to have to get a little more technical to answer that.

I break out my readin specs, and read the writin what's writ on the barrel or screw in choke.
I like your reply. If I wanna know what type of choke the gun has I just read it on the barrel.

Reactions: gunjunkie

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Get a Lincoln Memorial penny (12 Ga.) if the base matches Modified; if it sinks the the first step around IC.

Better yet shoot a quality #8 at a 30" circle at 40 yds. 350 pellets to the ounce. Over 70% is full. You can find the other numbers on the net. Performance beats coins, calipers etc.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I realize that and I use the "top knives" for measuring inside flat surfaces. There are calipers available that are radiused for use on inside round surfaces. I can get a relatively close measurement with what I have.

You do realize that you can use the top knives to measure inside diameters? Just insert into the bore and extend. They're self centering
Done!

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a Lincoln Memorial penny (12 Ga.) if the base matches Modified; if it sinks the the first step around IC.

Better yet shoot a quality #8 at a 30" circle at 40 yds. 350 pellets to the ounce. Over 70% is full. You can find the other numbers on the net. Performance beats coins, calipers etc.
I've used various coin tricks in the past. I also found some 4-1-1 on the Internet regarding shot patterns, pellet sizes, distances, percentages, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts