Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
An interesting article but it begs the question , why not just get a .357 Magnum? The 158 grain LSWCHP +P is a very good cartridge for the .38 Spl. . The long extinct Speer 140 grain "half jacket" LSWCHP was even better. I still have a few of those around here somewhere.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An interesting article but it begs the question , why not just get a .357 Magnum? The 158 grain LSWCHP +P is a very good cartridge for the .38 Spl. . The long extinct Speer 140 grain "half jacket" LSWCHP was even better. I still have a few of those around here somewhere.
I think over penetration was the concern with a cartridge that is "too" powerful, especially in urban areas. Also, thousands of police officers were already armed with a 38 Special chambered handgun so looking for a better bullet was way more economical than replacing all those guns

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Thanks for posting the article...interesting. I carried most of them at one time or another but, thankfully, never had to use them on anyone.

I think over penetration was the concern with a cartridge that is "too" powerful, especially in urban areas. Also, thousands of police officers were already armed with a 38 Special chambered handgun so looking for a better bullet was way more economical than replacing all those guns
That was the situation in my dept. 38 special ONLY, no 357 mag. Penetration was the issue. Of course, this was a long time ago, 60's-70's, when semi-autos and different calibers were only begining to make their appearance as police duty weapons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That was a great article, took me back in time,I had the opportunity to shoot some of the Winchester Treasury load in my then Ruger Security 6. Not a lot flash, and it group very tight. The Winchester Treasury load today would be a great load say in Ruger SP-101 or GP-100, 3-4 inch. The Remington 158 LSWCHP+P still is a very good performer out of a Snub Nose 38, because it’s lead is Softer than the Winchester loading, resulting in more relabel expansion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts