Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
I don't find mine to be excessively heavy in the first place but I still always discharge it with 2 hands on it. Has some pretty wicked recoil, I would imaging a lighter one would be even worse. One is enough for me.
same with mine....kicks like a pissed off mule.
i would really like to find a 22 magnum barrel. but it seems they are rarer than hens teeth

· Registered
23,692 Posts
same with mine....kicks like a pissed off mule.
i would really like to find a 22 magnum barrel. but it seems they are rarer than hens teeth
Don't try to aim it ever, just point it in the general direction of where you want the pill to go and squeeze.

I believe you can order them direct from Bond Arms because the barrels aren't serialized, just the frame and action.

Me, I'm happy with the hand cannon, in fact I would prefer a 460 tube. Problem is, the barrels would have to be a lot longer. The 460 case is long, like a 500 Nitro Express.

Once you learn the proper 2 handed grip it's not so bad but when I see their ad with the gal using it against a perp I cringe. it is not a lady's gun by a long shot. The one thing I don't care for is, you have to, in advance, insure which tube is gonna be the hot one so if you load a 410 shotshell in one and a 45 LC in the other, you have to physically determine which tube will ignite.

If you ever shoot it at dusk, you'll be amazed at the fireball it makes. Even bigger than my 460 XVR.

I keep mine looking sharp with a piece of Scotchbrite. Takes any scratches out of the brushed stainless finish.

· Registered
11,119 Posts
Wasn't Abraham Lincoln shot with a Derringer in .44?

Thewelshm

· Registered
6 Posts
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

This one has the first round set to fire a .38 special cartridge with no. 6 buckshot, and although I've never really carried it, I've kept it in the house for middle-of-the-night break-ins. But I think I should replace the buckshot with a standard round in case I'm not too close; don't want to damage any furniture or wallboard.

· Registered
73 Posts
Don't try to aim it ever, just point it in the general direction of where you want the pill to go and squeeze.

I believe you can order them direct from Bond Arms because the barrels aren't serialized, just the frame and action.

Me, I'm happy with the hand cannon, in fact I would prefer a 460 tube. Problem is, the barrels would have to be a lot longer. The 460 case is long, like a 500 Nitro Express.

Once you learn the proper 2 handed grip it's not so bad but when I see their ad with the gal using it against a perp I cringe. it is not a lady's gun by a long shot. The one thing I don't care for is, you have to, in advance, insure which tube is gonna be the hot one so if you load a 410 shotshell in one and a 45 LC in the other, you have to physically determine which tube will ignite.

If you ever shoot it at dusk, you'll be amazed at the fireball it makes. Even bigger than my 460 XVR.

I keep mine looking sharp with a piece of Scotchbrite. Takes any scratches out of the brushed stainless finish.
FYI, while they aren't easy to aim and grip well, one can aim them and actually shoot somewhat well with slow fire. They are mechanically accurate.

· Registered
73 Posts
Wasn't Abraham Lincoln shot with a Derringer in .44?

Thewelshm
I believe you are right and it was made in Philadelphia by the Henry Deringer Co
Yes, which demonstrates they are lethal. And, today's Bond Arms derringers are more powerful than those original Deringer single shot derringers. People have done tests on them, showing about 500 FPS albeit with a reasonable sized lead ball.

The original deringer used in the Lincoln assassination is on display at the Ford Theatre where it occurred, I believe.

Ford's Theatre (fords.org)

It's worth a visit if in DC.

· Registered
23,692 Posts
Speaking of Derringers, I just ordered a 'We The People' custom fit holster for mine. I have the Bond Ballistic Nylon belt holster for it but I believe a WTP holster will be better.

· Registered
11,119 Posts
Yes, which demonstrates they are lethal. And, today's Bond Arms derringers are more powerful than those original Deringer single shot derringers. People have done tests on them, showing about 500 FPS albeit with a reasonable sized lead ball.

The original deringer used in the Lincoln assassination is on display at the Ford Theatre where it occurred, I believe.

Ford's Theatre (fords.org)

It's worth a visit if in DC.
I took my Dad there a couple of years ago, seen the home across the street from Fords also..good breakfast joint next door FYI.

Thewelshm

Reactions: Outdoorsman

· Registered
73 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Perhaps so, #6 is merely written on the wad.
That means it is #6 shot (only slightly larger than #7.5 or #8 shot).

Buck shot (#4 Buck through 000 Buck) is significantly (a lot) larger!

Do an internet search and you'll easily find charts listing the various sizes of shot and buckshot.

And #6 shot in a .38 Special cartridge is hardly a good defensive load (unless maybe you make a face shot and blind 'em!)

However, if you come across a pheasant or chukar at close range (like 10'), you could bag dinner.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts