Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I'm on a roll of "Love um or leave um " guns here's a few more.

A 32 mag.
Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

A double action 38 spl. ,+P if your brave enough ,,,,, I'm not.
Wood Grey Everyday carry Gun accessory Blade

This oddball is a .22, kind of funky but double action and the top barrel is basically a smooth bore so wicked with shot shells for snakes.
Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Not for everybody, not for every day but I find they do have a purpose.

Attachments

· Registered
3,516 Posts
We can't get them in new in the Commiewealth of Ma. but I have one left over before they were banished. Nothing special..just a nickel American in .45 ACP. It's fairly "accurate" meaning you can keep two rounds in 6" at 10 feet...which is all a "belly" gun needs to do. I haven't carried it for many years as there are too many better alternatives available today.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have both 9mm & .38 versions of the American Derringer DA.
The history of it as I understand it is American Derringer bought parts and design from BTJ (Bellmore Johnson Tool Co.) when they got out of the production business . They were a Hamden Ct. prototype shop that did a lot of work for High Standard. On their own they took the High Standard double action .22 derringer , upsized it , made it out of Stainless and offered it to High Standard . They were already on thin ice so they refused it and went out of business instead.
BJT cranked them out for a while but were never really wanted to be a manufacturer so American Derringer stepped up to the plate.
Apparently now they make the Winchester signal cannon.

· Registered
73 Posts
While I'm on a roll of "Love um or leave um " guns here's a few more.

A 32 mag.

A double action 38 spl. ,+P if your brave enough ,,,,, I'm not.

This oddball is a .22, kind of funky but double action and the top barrel is basically a smooth bore so wicked with shot shells for snakes.

Not for everybody, not for every day but I find they do have a purpose.
I don't care what anyone says, derringers hold a place in history and for historical collectors or historical enthusiasts, a derringer is great for the collection. Also, they hold not only the same functionality they did in the 1800's and early 1900's, they are more effective with modern day powerful caliber derringers for example from Bond Arms.

Me? I have a Bond Arms 2.5 inch 9mm, and a 3 inch substitute barrel in .357/.38.

· Registered
73 Posts
The history of it as I understand it is American Derringer bought parts and design from BTJ (Bellmore Johnson Tool Co.) when they got out of the production business . They were a Hamden Ct. prototype shop that did a lot of work for High Standard. On their own they took the High Standard double action .22 derringer , upsized it , made it out of Stainless and offered it to High Standard . They were already on thin ice so they refused it and went out of business instead.
BJT cranked them out for a while but were never really wanted to be a manufacturer so American Derringer stepped up to the plate.
Apparently now they make the Winchester signal cannon.
American Derringer still makes the .22's High standard used to make as well as other things. Their website shows some interesting stuff.
Bond Arms has largely taken over from American Derringer. My understanding is the Bond Arms founder worked at American Derringer.

American Derringer I think barely makes new derringers at all, and not in bulk.

· Registered
23,709 Posts
My dimunitive Bond Snakeslayer is my carry gun most times. 2 45 LC's in my pocket works real well. Outta sight, outta mind..... Nasty little hand cannon.

Nice thing about the Bond is you can change out barrels while using the same frame for all of them. Myself, I like the 45LC-410 but I can exchange it for about any caliber and I like the cross bolt safety too. Of course it's single action like every derringer I've eve seen is. The only issue is, they aren't at all accurate down range because of the very limited rifling in the tubes so bullet stabilization isn't there. Good for a clos in encounter but the pill starts tumbling at any distance past 10 feet which I proved with paper targets and imprints.

With a 45 pill, pretty easy to tell when the bullet impacts the target sideways.

Reactions: 59dexta

· Registered
2,412 Posts
We have copperheads. 44 mag works well with snake shot but I can't be lugging a full sized ruger in the hopes of coming across one. The de ringer should just slip in a pocket and always be there just in case

· Registered
23,709 Posts
We have copperheads. 44 mag works well with snake shot but I can't be lugging a full sized ruger in the hopes of coming across one. The de ringer should just slip in a pocket and always be there just in case
I guess traveling sideways into a copperhead would only kill it faster. Guess that is why it's named 'Snakeslayer'.... No bigger really than a bunch of keys on a keyring and no sharp edges to wear a hole in your pants pocket either.

· Registered
73 Posts
My dimunitive Bond Snakeslayer is my carry gun most times. 2 45 LC's in my pocket works real well. Outta sight, outta mind..... Nasty little hand cannon.

Nice thing about the Bond is you can change out barrels while using the same frame for all of them. Myself, I like the 45LC-410 but I can exchange it for about any caliber and I like the cross bolt safety too. Of course it's single action like every derringer I've eve seen is. The only issue is, they aren't at all accurate down range because of the very limited rifling in the tubes so bullet stabilization isn't there. Good for a clos in encounter but the pill starts tumbling at any distance past 10 feet which I proved with paper targets and imprints.

With a 45 pill, pretty easy to tell when the bullet impacts the target sideways.
I think that's less true for the shorter non-revolver catridges. For example, 9mm or .380 barrels. Lots more barrel length with rifling. Also, being higher pressure they lose less velocity in the short barrels.

Here is a Bond Arm 9mm test with a 2.5 inch barrel.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Circle

· Registered
23,709 Posts
I don't find mine to be excessively heavy in the first place but I still always discharge it with 2 hands on it. Has some pretty wicked recoil, I would imaging a lighter one would be even worse. One is enough for me.

· Registered
73 Posts
I don't find mine to be excessively heavy in the first place but I still always discharge it with 2 hands on it. Has some pretty wicked recoil, I would imaging a lighter one would be even worse. One is enough for me.
That's why I'm only interested in the .380 stingers.

Lighter calibers aren't bad at all out of the BAs, such as .38 special. It's high pressure rounds such as 9 mm, or magnum, .45 colt, or .410 that are heavy recoil.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts