Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Breakaway, thanks for the review. I like old weapons as much as the next person but new hardware is hard to beat.

It always reminds me of old people and cars they grew up with. Old guys and hot rods and Harleys, both a dying breed and once gone, never to resurface from the grave. Old guys and old muscle cars where they think the old muscle cars are better than an evening with a willowy redhead. My point?
New cars are superior to old cars. Sadly, at my advance age, I fall into the old car category.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
Sweet score on a great revolver. I have a JM 625-8 and love it. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Reactions: msharley

·
Administrator
8,489 Posts
I too have a Thunder Ranch model 325 and I too love it! In fact, I had it out today and ran 50 rounds through it.
I don't know if you reload but I don't care for moon clips so I load auto rim ammo for it. I know some people love them but I just don't so if you're like me, look into rolling your own using auto rim cases. They eject just like normal.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Breakaway, thanks for the review. I like old weapons as much as the next person but new hardware is hard to beat.

It always reminds me of old people and cars they grew up with. Old guys and hot rods and Harleys, both a dying breed and once gone, never to resurface from the grave. Old guys and old muscle cars where they think the old muscle cars are better than an evening with a willowy redhead. My point?
New cars are superior to old cars. Sadly, at my advance age, I fall into the old car category.

vs...

No Contest...

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I have this M625-4 Model of 1989 in 45 ACP and a 25 yard target. Military ball ammo. Shoots pretty well, for me anyway.
Big Larry View attachment 500456
and that is beautiful. the new stuff is nice, but lacks the "panache" of the mature stock... My 02..

thewelshm

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
11,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,699 Posts
I’ve never understood the concept of shooting 45 acp from a revolver.
You can blame the Army for the .45 ACP revolver. When WWI broke out, the official sidearm was the Colt 1911 which was chambered for .45 ACP. Colt couldn't keep up semi-auto production to suit the army, so they asked S&W and Colt to use their revolver production facilities to produce revolvers that would shoot .45 ACP. Both companies were already making .455 Webley revolvers for the British Commonwealth. So, using those platforms was an easy mod to .45 ACP. S&W designed the moon clip to make it possible and the Army made them give the design to Colt so both handguns would use the same ammo. The ammo was distributed on half-moon clips which became the first speed loaders.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.