Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
Things will quiet down eventually if you can wait. Perhaps 18 months to 2 years... Until then, it's time to sell what you can at high prices. Nothing essential or important - just the "trading stock"...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"sell what you can at high prices". I've got a few I'm pulling out of the safe I'll be parting with. I've decided I don't need any .44 special revolvers (4 of those) or 45 Colt chambered ones (3 of those) with the exception of my Richard Petty Commemorative 25-3 (wish it was 45acp) and my 1875 Colt Peacemaker.

Get while the gettins good I guess..

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Prices for the 43C revolver..wow..
Yep. Prices for S&W J-Frame .22's have always been a little on the crazy side. That's nothing new. :) And everything is super-crazy right now, so factor that in as well. :giggle:

Were it not for a very bad experience with a brand new Model 442, I'd probably own (or at least want) one myself. (y) But I'll stick with my new LCP-II in .22 for the time being. Much cheaper and even easier to pocket carry. :cool:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I paid $475 for my 43c about 1.5 years ago...so prices have certainly gone WAY up on that model since then. That's why I was so surprised. Must be in demand.
I won't even consider an autoloader .22 rimfire for self defense, and the 43c I carry for light duty varmints I may see while walking the dogs.I prefer a revolver because I can use CBs, shorts,longs,long rifles interchangeably with no issues, as I have tons of them,and can use them up.

My self defense guns are all centerfire. I carry .22s just for fun, in addition to my SD gun.

·
Registered
31,533 Posts
I am going to sell a few that I never shoot. Will be interesting to see what happens. The increased(inflated) values are a sellers market right now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I bought one a week ago for $674.99 plus $30 shipping mu FFL only charged me 20 bit I transferred 2 that day, so I guess I have $714. A bit high but not out to bad. I thought in the current situation
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Game controller Font
loop

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew when I "loaned" the 43c to the wife I may never see it again. It really is a shining star in the S&W line up and once I cleaned up the action and relubed it,has a great trigger and is not intimidating to new gun users (my wife) If there were no demand for them they would sill be cheap. I was tempted to try the Ruger version but like finding hens teeth..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine new last November for $617 plus tax. I thought that was high but had never seen one before and really wanted it. They are fun to shoot, and I have a substantial amount of 22 ammo!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I made the mistake of letting the wife use my 43c (Centennial 8 shot .22 long rifle revolver) and now she won't part with it..so I decided to try and buy another. However...looking at "sold" auctions on Gunbroker...they are all north of $800! Some are approaching $1k!! These are not "enhanced" in any form and bringing these prices. Even the Ruger LCRs in .22LR are bringing over $700,if you can find one. Sign of the times I guess..but wow...just amazing to me. I will just carry my 642 and be happy till prices come back to reality..
Yup. I bought a 642 partly because I wanted a snubbie and a S&W, and partly because it was MSRP at $499 which is rare for many quality gun/brands in-store now with inflated prices. It seems a lot are +$50 or 100.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
Yup. I bought a 642 partly because I wanted a snubbie and a S&W, and partly because it was MSRP at $499 which is rare for many quality gun/brands in-store now with inflated prices. It seems a lot are +$50 or 100.
Around here they have typically sold well below MSRP, until the past year. Just a couple years ago( 2019) I bought a brand new 442 for $337.50. The big shop across town had them at $339.95.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Around here they have typically sold well below MSRP, until the past year. Just a couple years ago( 2019) I bought a brand new 442 for $337.50. The big shop across town had them at $339.95.
Well, good luck with that now. People have to stop citing pre-covid pre-2020 prices.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
Well, good luck with that now. People have to stop citing pre-covid pre-2020 prices.
At some point buying will drop. Meanwhile, gun makers are going full bore. Then all the FFL's will complain that sales are in a slump while inventory is at an all time high. Then the sales happen. Have seen this cycle before and those pre-covid prices may not return, but prices will drop

·
Registered
530 Posts
At some point buying will drop. Meanwhile, gun makers are going full bore. Then all the FFL's will complain that sales are in a slump while inventory is at an all time high. Then the sales happen. Have seen this cycle before and those pre-covid prices may not return, but prices will drop
Fair enough. I'm sure that is true. I'm just happy I bought the gun at MSRP.

Many guns as you probably know are being sold well above MSRP. For example, the same shop has S&W .380 Bodyguards at around $430. The MSRP is $379 currently. I suspect it has to do with how in demand they are. The semi-autos appear to be selling faster than probably 642's. Similarly, in many shops I think Glocks are selling above MSRP.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
Fair enough. I'm sure that is true. I'm just happy I bought the gun at MSRP.

Many guns as you probably know are being sold well above MSRP. For example, the same shop has S&W .380 Bodyguards at around $430. The MSRP is $379 currently. I suspect it has to do with how in demand they are. The semi-autos appear to be selling faster than probably 642's. Similarly, in many shops I think Glocks are selling above MSRP.
I agree, MSRP and up is pretty much the norm these days. I paid $10 below MSRP for my Shield back in 2012 and that was about the best price available at the time since it was a new model back then .

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree, MSRP and up is pretty much the norm these days. I paid $10 below MSRP for my Shield back in 2012 and that was about the best price available at the time since it was a new model back then .
Yes, that makes sense. I have a shield also and like it. Got it in mint condition used for $270.

At my other LGS, in fact my main one where I have a range membership, I think I'm already seeing the phenomenon you mentioned. They were selling semi-autos like hot cakes for the past year.

In the past week I went in and it looked as if 80% of the store's pistol display cases was racks of 9 mm (and some other major calibers) semi-autos, as if they ordered too much as a result of 2020 and now have too many ha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts