Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, why did Smith & Wesson change from the deep blue finish you can see vintage revolvers to the modern day satin finish? Can the satin finish be polished or am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
fortunately for me my model 19 is old school blue:)

thewelshm

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
As several have noted, it was actually a combination of the things mentioned above. EPA, equipment, change in manufacturing processes due to retirement of some of the craftsmen making the pistols. Remember, 30 years from now, the ones being manufactured today will be treasured classics as they will have withstood the test of time. Semper Fi!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Just go to a car show or car cruise. Those late 70s cars with no horsepower and catalytic converters are now "collectible" or even antiques. Who ever thought an imitation wood grain covered K car would be in a car show.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
The EPA shut down most blueing processes in the USA due to environmental concerns. Blueing Salts are highly corrosive and air borne fumes can be deadly. The cost was just to great to keep the blueing process going. Most gun are now made out of Stainless Steel and a black satin finish made to make them look satin blue ..

No your blue cannot be polished .. Sorry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts