Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Nah....

I'm doing what I said, taking some advantage of the Summer and playing with the smokepoles. Wait til you guys see the pics of places, new gear, and guns I've picked up. Enough to talk about all Winter... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
37,501 Posts
Gizamo said:
Nah....

I'm doing what I said, taking some advantage of the Summer and playing with the smokepoles. Wait til you guys see the pics of places, new gear, and guns I've picked up. Enough to talk about all Winter... ;)

giz
I look forward to seeing the pictures and reading all about them, Giz! Next year's new hobby may be blackpowder shooting. :D This year is pretty full up with work, classes, birthdays, etc.

I do like that Ruger Old Army that you posted the pictures of and from what I have seen of some of the reproductions of the Colt Navy 1851 .36 that would probably fit my smallish hands even better. ;)

One of the plusses for the Navy Six for me is from the movie True Grit where Cogburn is telling Maddy about being in a shoot out and using that model. IIRC Hickock also liked that model of revolver, and that it was the preferred sidearm for the Confederates while the Union used the 1860 Army .44 caliber.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WendyZXZ said:
Gizamo said:
Nah....

giz
I look forward to seeing the pictures and reading all about them, Giz! Next year's new hobby may be blackpowder shooting. :D This year is pretty full up with work, classes, birthdays, etc.

I do like that Ruger Old Army that you posted the pictures of and from what I have seen of some of the reproductions of the Colt Navy 1851 .36 that would probably fit my smallish hands even better. ;)

One of the plusses for the Navy Six for me is from the movie True Grit where Cogburn is telling Maddy about being in a shoot out and using that model. IIRC Hickock also liked that model of revolver, and that it was the preferred sidearm for the Confederates while the Union used the 1860 Army .44 caliber.
That gun in True Grit isn't a Navy, its been awhile but I think its a Dragoon in .44, almost the same size as a Walker Colt. The 1851's were small, and light beside those horse pistols!!

G

·
Ok,

To put a rest to the rumor of this forum in it's death throws....

If we don't have anymore downpours or tornado warnings...I will post some pics that will make up for my absence. ;)

I'll start with gear...tomorrow I'll post a pic or two of a real Capote...not a recent reproduction. One of the finest hunting coats made for warmth. Burn holes from fires, dried blood and all... And if your lucky, I'll show traditional hand gear and a pinned blanket over the coat.

Much of what you will see in the coming months will be historically correct for Middle Maine in the latter 1700's...trust me, your going to see some stuff not available to even the historians....

Just a taste of the good things to come...from my Summer sabatical... :mrgreen:

giz

G

·
Drew,

Remember that interesting Flintlock I had out for repair? Well in the last two days it's had chemo and open heart...leastwise that is what it felt like to me. Two major cracks in the stock being dealt with. The weather hasn't helped with the swings in humidity...

Short answer, no...But barring rain...I'll shoot yours tomorrow ~ break it down and look at the timing and give her a good clean-up....

Pics tomorrow of some interestin' stuff.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Thanks Bud!

I have enjoyed using that smoothbore in the past, but I'm too lazy to work it up again...

I'd love to pop a few caps in it at the RNS....

Lookign forward to your snapshots...

Drew

·
Super Moderator
37,501 Posts
That gun in True Grit isn't a Navy, its been awhile but I think its a Dragoon in .44, almost the same size as a Walker Colt. The 1851's were small, and light beside those horse pistols!![/quote]

Very true, Leighton! The revolver that Maddy carries that belonged to her dad was a Dragoon. My reference is to the 1851 is when Cogburn and Maddy are waiting for Ned Pepper and his band to show up at the shack and he is telling Maddy about when he just got out of the war and had robbed a place and the posse came after him, and how he charged them with a Navy six in each hand. I liked the part when she asks him why he keeps an empty cylinder in his Peacemaker and he says it is so he won't shoot his foot off.

Very similar episode in Rooster Cogburn when he told about charging Pepper and his gang with a six shooter and a Winchester to Hawk and Miss Goodnight.

Some favorite lines from True Grit are from the trial soon in the movie:

"A gun that is unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'"

"Backward. I always go backwards when I'm backin' away"

Another good one is:

"Well if I had a big horse pistol like that I wouldn't be afraid of no boogerman"

The movie does have some great humor in it at times. One of my favorites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.