Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So your cruising the gun aisles and see something interesting. It's a brushed nickel Model 10 wearing goodyears. Got the nice Heavy barrel in 4" and the condition of the gun is pretty darn good. The price isn't too awful steep...And the gun has perfect timing and lockup with no endshake.

So based on no pics, just the description above ~ I'm wondering how much you might theoretically pay? :mrgreen:

Giz

·
Registered
600 Posts
$275-$350, was the brushed nickel done by Smith? If not maybe less.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, by the way...

Did I mention that it was a 10-1 :ymdevil:

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Folks,

This is a rare Model 10-1 that someone had brush nickel finished. It's a 1961 4-Screw in a heavy barrel configuration. I found it in a shop that had no clue of what they had taken in, and had called me to come see it. I believe it was originally a heavy barreled blued gun. I would have to guess the gun was in near mint conditon before being brush nickeled.

Sometime, just for fun....search for information on the forums about a 10-1. Then you'll realize how uncommon they are.....
Did I mention this is a four-screw model... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Only Ten dash One, I've ever seen...

Imagine Doc44 finding a .44 Magnum that was model marked a 29-1 and it was hard chromed....then at least you'll know how he'd feel...

Giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I was sure that in your telephone conversation today about this gun that you indicated that the factory finish markings were for Nickle.

Did I hear you wrong?

Note the early pattern Target Hammer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alas Drew,

It is not a nickel gun. The photos sent had a few factory markings that were obscured and in my mind, I felt for sure one was the nickle mark. When I had a chance to take the rubbers off the gun it was not to be. So many things were right about the gun, but the brushed nickel is not. I intend to do a complete action tune to it tomorrow and turn it into a range gun. Maybe I'll use it as a stock gun at the Championship Plates match in-state next fall. Come and shoot it this weekend, I'll have the gun re-worked by tomorrow morning. Should be a heck of a shooter :D

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
That's too bad Giz.... sounded like you had a real winner.

I won't be at the Plates on Saturday.... I'm fishing with my Dad, my Sons, and my Almost Grandson.

Very best,

Drew

·
Registered
249 Posts
Giz...If I found a 29-1 that was hard chromed or finished in satin nickel...or?...I would have to pass as I have lots of nice shooters in 44 Magnum caliber.

Bill

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bill ,
Looking at all your guns , their just outstanding !! Do some of these get shot or do you have regular shooters ??
Also do you reload ??

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ralph...I have my shooters, so most of my collection does not get used. I used to reload for the 44 Magnum and 7mm Magnum, but haven't for many years. However, I still have all of my equipment, so I can resume most anytime.

Bill

·
Registered
600 Posts
Giz, I do like that. I bought many a model 10 that was not perfect. They are hard to find in cherry condition as they are(were) working pieces that are just fun to shoot and very accurate. Here is one I bought from a friend and had it refinished and bobbed and use it as a carry piece.

This one has a 64 3" bbl, hammer and trigger, latch release, on a 10 frame, just couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just had to ask Bill !! I could`nt see you shooting full power 44 Magnum out of those nice guns !!

Nice lookin guns Jamn !! B-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts