Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With apologies to Marvin Gaye, I heard it through the grapevine that
a little Dawn dish soap added to dry media can polish up tumbled brass.
Any truth to that? In the past I have used Nu Finish. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
28,348 Posts
Many folks add some to their wet tumbling solution; never heard of adding it to dry media.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never hear that before. I add a bit of NuFinish
I might try a skosh on a little bit of corn cob.
I don't wanna waste a tumbler full of media in case it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I wet soak in citric acid and Dawn dish soap. I use a "salad spinner" to get most of the water wash off the brass and then oven dry at low temps. The brass may not shine but it is clean.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sounds like the general consensus is that Dawn 4 dishes is meant for wet tumbling.
Me thinx I'll stick with Nu Finish.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
4 Posts
I might be a desenting opinion here but Dawn isn't the best solution for wet tumbling either. It does clean very well. It will work gang busters with steel pin. Thing is it removes all slickness of the cartridge cases. I have found additional dry thumbling with Nufinish to replace that slickness necessary before running through the dies. Amour all, McGuire or other wax related car finish soap has removed all kinds of ick from my cases and still retained ease of going through the dies. Also the brass washed in car soaps doesn't tarnish quite so bad if touched with oils from hand or from sitting on a shelf. Dry thumbling, capful of mineral spirits, capful Nufinish, a used cut up dryer sheet and Zillia lizard bedding will get it done.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
My first step at preparing field brass is hand sorting and washing it in the kitchen sink using dishwashing detergent.

After that, I tumble it using stainless steel pins and their Lyman tumbling solution, which is 99 percent water and 1 percent surfactant chemical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You know, of course, that just wiping off the case exterior will produce ammo just as accurate and, if you remove the dry lube (soot), you might have to replace it. A lot of effort going into something of no importance.
All I see is the ritual getting more involved over time.
Have you tried jet dry to prevent water spots?
Nufinish contains abrasives.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
You know, of course, that just wiping off the case exterior will produce ammo just as accurate and, if you remove the dry lube (soot), you might have to replace it. A lot of effort going into something of no importance.
All I see is the ritual getting more involved over time.
Have you tried jet dry to prevent water spots?
Nufinish contains abrasives.
I disagree. Not about handgun brass but with bottleneck rifle brass, you want the inside and primer pockets as clean as the outside, always and the ONLY way to do that is wet tumble in a dash of Dawn dish soap and a dash of Lemishine. in warm water. it's utmost importance that all traces of burnt propellant be removed from the inside of a case before charging and seating a new pill, especially when annealing any case because annealing a case with powder residue inside will cause that residue to harden in the neck and cause erratic insertion and erratic velocity when the cartridge is fired and that contributes to poor downrange accuracy. Irun all my rifle brass through STS with the primers removed and then I anneal each case before I FL resize them with a bushing die, prime them, charge the cases and insert a bullet with a micrometer seater.

handguns are a different animal but I still run my straightwall cases in STS and I anneal the 44 RM's, and the 460 S&W's that receive a heavy crimp to mitigate neck cracking issues. Got tired long ago with neck cracking on magnum handgun rounds so they get annealed now s well. Considering how hard it is to buy quality brass, let alone FMJ pills, it's false economy not to correctly prep and far as removing anything from the outer case with Dawn, I use Imperial sizing wax on every case, straightwall or bottle neck. No exceptions.

Reactions: mrerick

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
The Disciple of the Perfect Shine has spoken the Truth, the Only Way, and all else is false practices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All those bench rest and long range rifle shooters who tested every variable and they never discovered the "need" to clean the case interior.
I assume you have data to prove this need?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts