Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Attached is an image of the damage from the first time at the range. Sent the gun off to Smith and they’re telling me it’s normal and within spec, hard to believe a cylinder shaving metal off the frame is normal. Thoughts on how to proceed please?
I just checked my 642 and it has a similar bright spot. Not quite as defined as yours at the turn but it is certainly making contact. If its stainless cylinder rubbing on aluminum frame and in your instance black paint ..the stainless is going to win. I know blemishes are a bummer .. you can either hit it with black marker or I might polish a small section right there making it silver but .. like it was meant to be that way.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
As brother Boiqua said , scuffs are just kind of the tradeoff for a black coated alloy frame . The finish is just not that tuff. If you want eternal new look stick with stainless.
In fact, that is the purpose for that little bump and the reason for it's name , cylinder stop . It hold the cyl. in place when you eject spent shells taking load off the cyl. stem. Try not to rotate the cyl. when it is open.
In a nutshell contact is inevitable and stainless beats paint/anodizing or whatever it is.
So just pack it around some and it WILL pick up more signs of use (most notably a healthy turn line) then you won't notice it any more.
fhfjjjj You did not buy that gun for a safe queen and that's just the stuff that happens to a gun that gets carried.weiweinp

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Just because it is a carry gun, there is no good reason why this should happen. This is more BS from S&W!!! It's NOT normal! Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This answer from Hyatt Guns just now.
I've seen the photo and discussed it with our head gunsmith Woody. That "shelf" is there to stop the cylinder from moving rearward when the shells are ejected. I am going to agree with Smith & Wesson. I also found a brand new Smith & Wesson 329PD, never fired, on our shelves with similar wear. I've attached a picture below. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I forgot which forum had the same subject but all replied that it is normal for that type finish. There is another thread about a small light frame revolver being damaged from constant use of hot loads .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have at least 2000 rounds through my 340PD. That shelf is still black.

My cylinder DOES touch there when open and pushed rearward.

You must have spun the cylinder with it open, with rearward pressure on the cylinder.

It's kinda like the 1911 disassembly slide pin scratch, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Yep, normal wear- especially with that black finish. I have an almost 120 year old .22 HE with the stop was so worn that I had to peen it back up. Be sure to leave a note to your great grandkids. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts