Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening!

My younger brother passed on in 2005 and several firearms came to me in his will. This Smith&Wesson D.A. 45 was one of them. After looking on line and not seeing one of this generation that looks exactly like this one, I thought of posting here to see if someone could tell me something about this revolver.
The surface is in such fine shape, I cannot help but think it has been reblued.
I would like to know what the grips are made of if anyone knows.
This pistol is going up for sale. If someone could give me an approximation of its value. A ball park figure, it would help me to set a sale price to work from.

Fred

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Great Shooter, but unfortunately I would agree about it being refinished....Finish on these guns was a moderately high polish..... Replacement stocks also hurt it somewhat unless they are genuine Ivory, but I'd bet that they are not.... look like Ajax "Ivorx" Bonded Polymer to me... to determine if they are polymer or not, heat up a paperclip and touch it to the back of the stocks.... Ivory won't melt.

1937 Brazilians are escalating in price from when they first came into the country in the early 1990's when they arrived in droves and could be had for $99.50 from FedOrd, Century Arms and other importers. I bought a STONE MINT all correct example from Century for $325 several years ago.

Asking prices on excellent, correct examples are all over the map, but I would guess your refurbed gun would probably go for around $350 more or less.

Drew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sebago Son said:
Great Shooter, but unfortunately I would agree about it being refinished....Finish on these guns was a moderately high polish..... Replacement stocks also hurt it somewhat unless they are genuine Ivory, but I'd bet that they are not.... look like Ajax "Ivorx" Bonded Polymer to me... to determine if they are polymer or not, heat up a paperclip and touch it to the back of the stocks.... Ivory won't melt.

1937 Brazilians are escalating in price from when they first came into the country in the early 1990's when they arrived in droves and could be had for $99.50 from FedOrd, Century Arms and other importers. I bought a STONE MINT all correct example from Century for $325 several years ago.

Asking prices on excellent, correct examples are all over the map, but I would guess your refurbed gun would probably go for around $350 more or less.

Drew
Drew,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Fred

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think Drew pretty much nailed the gun...

The re-finish is nicely done but the polished trigger and hammer are a dead give-away the gun has been re-finished.

Often times someone who is not familiar with S&W revolvers will see the case hardened color on the trigger and hammer and polish it off... the trigger and hammer can be re-casehardened, but if you are selling the gun it would not be worth the trouble.

The stocks are as Drew said, Ajax... I have an identical set which Ajax was selling in the late 1990s. These were made using real S&W medallions Ajax bought at the Dallas Market Hall gun show from a guy who had acquired all S&W had when the English plumbers who owned S&W at the time sold off all the old parts S&W had in inventory.

Your gun should be a good shooter. Depending on where you are in the country, it could bring $350 to $450... and these days possibly more... prices of guns have risen dramatically in the last year...so I would suggest auctioning the gun to get the best return... auction sites such as www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com both allow you to do on-line auctions of your unwanted guns.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have to put a word in for Cherry's fine guns. I sell everything through them, buy a few too. Nice guys and fair brokers on consignment sales. Look at there web-site

Boats

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Fred,
You'll have a ball shooting that good-looking gun of yours!
Here's my read...
Drew and the gang have done a nice job of analysis.
The real strength of your gun is its durability and utility.
It's always fun to go shooting with something that's 70+ years old.
Kind of makes you understand what it was like 'back in the day'.
And that 'long action' is great, too.
I've had both Military and Commercial M-1917's, ranging from original safe-queens to complete re-do and restorations.
The Brazilians were used, and used a lot.
Service guns in 'banana republic' empires just didn't/don't receive the kind of care and maintenance you and I would give our weapons.
They were transported in wooden crates, subject to humidity and salt air.
Their 'collectibility' is, like many models, subject to what a willing buyer will pay.
IMHO, the M-1937 Brazilian is the perfect candidate to be re-done and shot.
Enjoy it!
Don
;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
One of the things I appreciate the most about the Brazilians over the War Time and pre-1930 1917 Commercials is the improved sights. The 1937 guns (as Fred's) still have the the "Round Top" frame, but a deeper, wider rear sight cut out and a thicker front sight blade. This makes seeing these sights sooooooo much easier.

Brazilians were actually delivered in more than one contract, the last guns were shipped after the war in 1946. These guns and the last of the pre-war shipments had the later "Flat Top" frame similar to other M&P issues of the time and they offer an even better sighting picture.

Some of the most accurate .45 ACP revolvers I've ever shot were also the nastiest, most beat up, pitted Brazilians you could imagine.

I really like these guns.

Drew

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
As Drew has said, you've got a really nice shooter. Not being a serious collecter, myself, I would enjoy shooting it ,"as is", and not worry about the value one bit!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Fred, if you sell a gun that was your Brothers you may regret it on down the line. I'd shoot & enjoy it. It's your gun, but I'd at least consider that aspect of selling it. Frank

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Frank V said:
Fred, if you sell a gun that was your Brothers you may regret it on down the line. I'd shoot & enjoy it. It's your gun, but I'd at least consider that aspect of selling it. Frank
Thanks for saying this Frank. I almost posted the same thing yesterday and decided not to stick my nose in. Glad you weren't afraid to do that. :mrgreen:

Seriously, It would have to be worth a lot more than it is, I think, for me to want to sell it off. We won't judge you too much though, BHN. :shifty:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts