Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering, where would one send a cylinder off to , if one wanted it rechambered , say something like .38/44 to .44 special?
and does anyone know what the cost would be?
just wondering for a "project" i have in mind.. :roll:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, kritter
Just my opinion, but I'd send the whole mess (barrel, frame and cylinder) to Hamilton Bowen for reboring, retiming and re-sighting.
Probably costly, but well worth it.
Don
;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats who i was thinking, but....after seeing his price list....whew... that more than i have in the gun already,, i'm going for the frugal route..

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
My Grandfather had a saying..... "A Poor Man Can't Afford Anything But The Very Best...."

I wouldn't use anyone other than a reputable gunsmith.... you're cylinder and barrel could easily be turned to junk by a hack with a drill press and a belt sander.

G

·
0 Posts
Lee Martin and his Dad have been doing cylinders for over two decades.
Here's a link to how he does it. It will show you why it can get costly. Lee actually starts with a piece of 17-4 and completely mills the entire cylinder from scratch.

Here is a .44 Special cylinder project he's working on...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54775

What your talking about is more in the order of line boring a smaller caliber cylinder that is already timed to your gun. You have to send the entire gun for this. They remove your barrel and make sure each chamber is aligned properly to the bore.

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Giz, thanks for posting that link. I loved his pics of the process. I will have to check back in with that thread to see the final results.

Good luck with your project, Kritter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is really wonderful work...very inspiring.

How would one get in contact with them?

I tried some 'googles' but no contact info.

I'd like to find out about them doing a Cylinder...

Phil

·
Registered
843 Posts
Andy Horvath is also an excellent pistol smith and has re-chambered both Colts and Smiths for me. His work is second to none! This is also Taffins opinion of Horvath

Len

1 - 11 of 11 Posts