Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1880 fifth model S&W .38. The cylinder lock isn't engaging enough to stop the cylinder from spinning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can take pictures if it would help.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Either its very dirty OR the spring under the cylinder lock has broken. Or its just plain worn out. They were a weak point in that revolver

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the cylinder spring also the trigger spring? There seems to be no separate spring for the cylinder lock. It is a fairly long piece that may be a spring in itself. I will be able to remove the cylinder lock piece once I get my 1mm and .5mm punches. I've included a pic of the cylinder lock piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After an almost full disassembly and reassembly the cylinder lock now engages when the trigger is pulled and has tension on it. As soon as the hammer releases so does the cylinder lock. My hypothesis at this point is the cylinder lock mechanism is a spring in itself that has been bent too far in the downward direction.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My hypothesis at this point is the cylinder lock mechanism is a spring in itself that has been bent too far in the downward direction.
Maybe, but it seems to me that the trigger spring, which lies on top of it, would provide the spring action. Also, just guessing, but I think that the sear spring provides tension to hold the cylinder stop in place. Man, compared to an auto, revolvers are fiendishly complicated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hypothesis at this point is the cylinder lock mechanism is a spring in itself that has been bent too far in the downward direction.
Maybe, but it seems to me that the trigger spring, which lies on top of it, would provide the spring action. Also, just guessing, but I think that the sear spring provides tension to hold the cylinder stop in place. Man, compared to an auto, revolvers are fiendishly complicated!
I'm going to disassemble it once again and check to see if the trigger spring can press on the cylinder stop. I'll get a picture if I can of how the cylinder stop lays in the frame as well as how the trigget spring lays in there. Hopefully together we can come up with a solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After dissassembaling it once again I have learned that the trigger spring cannot press against both the cylinder lock and the trigger at the same time. If the spring is under the trigger it will not let the trigger return all the way as well. So it has to go on top of the trigger. I've included 2 pictures that show the current problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally made a small enough punch to push the cylinder lock pin out. I could immediately see that it had a slight bend in the wrong direction. I straightened it out and put the gun back together. Now everything works smoothly. If anyone ever has an issue like this or needs photos for references to this gun now I can help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts