Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on custom engraving. We probably all agree factory engraving is desirable and adds value, but does custom engraving add value or is it useless ornamentation?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
GOM
In the 'good old days', factory engraving was the trump card.
THESE days, I'm not so sure.
Most of the current artists don't work for the gun manufacturers, so lots of the aftermarket work is the best quality there is.
Don ;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Don some of the greatest engravers were not factory engravers.Just to name a few, Frank e hendricks...Howard v grant...Alvin a white...Winston g churchill.. and my wife Barbra r pierce. As to value I've guns that my wife engraved for me that I sold for large sums of money, It depends on who engraves your gun. :)

G

·
0 Posts
And there are some ex Smith and Wesson engravers that set up their own shop's...Wayne D'Angelo, and a certain gent down on Cape Cod come to mind. Pretty hard to beat their work... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
c pierce, I think I remember you posting some awesome pictures of Barbra's work. If you would, can you post some more?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've always liked engraved guns. Factory or done by an engraver after the gun left the manufacturer. These were all engraved by Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ) with 75% coverage American Scroll:

Jeff Flannery of Union, Kentucky engraved my Ruger Single Six:

Factory Colt 150th Anniversary Engraved Sampler from 1986:

I'm a fan of engraving. Factory is awesome but hard to afford for a guy like me. I really like Gouse's work and my wallet really likes his prices! My Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special is currently in Gouse's hands right now. I can't wait to get it back! Patience, patience...patience....

-Steve

·
Registered
507 Posts
Beautiful ivories on that Ruger SSS too! kfjdrfirii
f.t.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Steve's excellent photographs illustrate how tasteful custom engraving can really add a touch of class to a personal firearm. I share his thoughts on pricey factory engraving, too!

I have a few examples of both custom and factory engraving - and this is strictly my opinion... For investment, having a factory letter indicating that a firearm was "factory" engraved is superior to having a firearm that was engraved after it left the factory - even if the work was done by a "name" artist.

JMO, but favorite firearms should be engraved and embellished to the taste of their owners - particularly ones you shoot a lot and plan to hang onto forever. Why not have a couple engraved with your own favorite designs and scrolls - and then handle and carry and shoot them regularly? A tastefully engraved firearm that is worn and well-cared-for is an object of beauty - much more so than a pristine safe queen!

In the past, crude "pawn shop" engraving would detract from the value of a firearm - but now I see those things with high prices at gun shows, particularly the Wolf & Klar scratching with the zig-zag tool! So what do I know?

My only custom engraving job:

Browning Factory engraving:

xtm

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
xtm, those are both gorgeous! I'd like to see some closer pics of your Colt!

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
xtm,
Your best is pretty darn good!
Beautiful Colt too! kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I recognize the stunning beauty of these guns and love to see the owners showing them off and being proud to own them.

Engraving just doesn't do it for me though. It never has. I don't really know how to explain it other than to say that I like the graceful lines and aesthetics of many types of guns just as they are, without all the scratches. :shock: ;)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
lgnngp

Those dark one piece handles look great on that Colt. The engraving is just wonderful! That's a gorgeous single action revolver! ihfnlllllq

1 - 16 of 16 Posts