Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently investigating a random issue I’m having. I’ve probably put about 400-500 rounds through my CSX and randomly I will get a failure to battery. It ejects fine, strips from the mag fine but gets stuck with the cartridge half way into the chamber.

things I have done:

• cleaned and cleaned again
  • lubed but made sure not to over lube
  • tried to confirm I am not thumbing the slide but I cannot guarantee. This is the smallest gun I’ve got and my thumbs naturally want to navigate right along the frame/slide junction
  • usually using 115gr Winchester but to make sure it wasn’t the light recoil I got some 147gr American Eagle.
  • had my wife fire it (she as smaller hands and has a Kimber micro 9 so is used to small handguns)
  • spoke to a gunsmith and he suggested polishing the ramp and slightly/lightly round over the transition between the ramp and chamber.
  • searched the internet and google has failed me.
  • now I am here asking if I am the only one having this issue. I’m trying to rule out everything in the hopes that this is a “me” problem

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
176 Posts
I'm assuming the 147 gr American Eagle presented the same problem, and that it also does this with your wife shooting it? I would say it's safe to say that rules you out. Your gunsmith might be onto something, but since (again I'm guessing here) this is a new gun, I'd suggest getting hold of S&W and let them repair it under warranty rather than doing anything that might void it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming the 147 gr American Eagle presented the same problem, and that it also does this with your wife shooting it? I would say it's safe to say that rules you out. Your gunsmith might be onto something, but since (again I'm guessing here) this is a new gun, I'd suggest getting hold of S&W and let them repair it under warranty rather than doing anything that might void it.
Yea you are correct. The 147gr and having my wife shooting it didn’t work. She had at least one failure with a single mag of 10 and I had several out of 40rounds. I really didn’t want to hear that I should contact S&W. Yes the gun is only a couple months old.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I really didn’t want to hear that I should contact S&W."

Contact S&W.

I had to return a new gun to them and it was repaired and returned to me in less than 2 weeks.
Yeah, I had an EZ 9 that I had to send in because it had a delay in the hammer release when the trigger was fully pulled. They had to replace the sear and trigger assembly.
I don’t like being separated from my weapons. It’s weird but engraved from the military to always have positive control.
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thank you Xobseoj. Late afternoon yesterday JET Fighters doing practice runs near the casa out of Mira Mar Airbase here in San Diego County...the ground shakes and I get the chills.
Now you and your "battery talk". I think I've just returned to foxhole heaven ;)

Bravo 2 Medic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Xobseoj. Late afternoon yesterday JET Fighters doing practice runs near the casa out of Mira Mar Airbase here in San Diego County...the ground shakes and I get the chills.
Now you and your "battery talk". I think I've just returned to foxhole heaven ;)

Bravo 2 Medic.
Don't you just love the sound of that freedom? I do... I haven't heard real Jet Noise since I was in VA. Now that Im so close to an Army Base I only hear dumb ol' helicopters. :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don't you just love the sound of that freedom? I do... I haven't heard real Jet Noise since I was in VA. Now that Im so close to an Army Base I only hear dumb ol' helicopters. :D
I'm lucky. The Lads are flyin' hot and heavy as the Military Air show is this weekend out of Miramar. Army (Golden Knights me thinks) is doing jumps on the deck of the Midway Carrier at the harbor in San Diego. And my neighbor is an ex-Marine fighter pilot who still works at Pendleton. So, there are plenty of stories to go around.

Reactions: Xobseoj

·
Registered
70 Posts
So the CSX. it's like a Browning Hi Power type of gun?

Cocked and locked but no grip safety?
The grip safety has been a bone of contention to a lot of people who have a difficult time gripping the firearm effectively to disengage it. The CSX a micro sized 1911 style pistol offers SAO without it. I think S&W took dead aim at the ever popular Kimber Micro 9 and the Sig P938 when they developed it and hit a home run with the CSX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The grip safety has been a bone of contention to a lot of people who have a difficult time gripping the firearm effectively to disengage it. The CSX a micro sized 1911 style pistol offers SAO without it. I think S&W took dead aim at the ever popular Kimber Micro 9 and the Sig P938 when they developed it and hit a home run with the CSX.
I absolutely agree, they definitely did well on this little thing. The only gripe I have about it is the occasional malfunction i am trying to fix now. The aim at 3&7 yrds is absolutely dead on for having such a short site radius.

CSX Target 3 & 7 yrds

·
Registered
70 Posts
I absolutely agree, they definitely did well on this little thing. The only gripe I have about it is the occasional malfunction i am trying to fix now. The aim at 3&7 yrds is absolutely dead on for having such a short site radius.

CSX Target 3 & 7 yrds
Great shooting! You didn't say what your occasional malfunctions are. I found on mine because of the high bore axis and getting my hand up to high into the beaver tail caused the slide to graze the skin where it scrunches up. Relaxed my grip a little and that cured the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great shooting! You didn't say what your occasional malfunctions are. I found on mine because of the high bore axis and getting my hand up to high into the beaver tail caused the slide to graze the skin where it scrunches up. Relaxed my grip a little and that cured the problem.
My occasional ( i call a few times per 50rnd box occasional) malfunctions is the whole reason for this thread. I have an occasional failure to battery issue. Looks like the consensus is for me to contact S&W and have them take a look at the gun and evaluate if I am the issue or if the there is an issue with either the feed ramp or the recoil spring.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. I try and get to the range a few times a month to every week and shoot off a hundred rounds or so. I don't always shoot off the same gun but sometimes its multiple calibers. I feel it is very important to get to the range and let off some steam and to get some practice in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My occasional ( i call a few times per 50rnd box occasional) malfunctions is the whole reason for this thread. I have an occasional failure to battery issue. Looks like the consensus is for me to contact S&W and have them take a look at the gun and evaluate if I am the issue or if the there is an issue with either the feed ramp or the recoil spring.
Please keep us posted on the findings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts