Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caution! These observations and changes should be done by a gunsmith. If you don’t have skills associated with the changes, please take it to a gunsmith. The intent is to provide information on how the CSX can be an outstanding gun.

The main issue as mentioned previously is the disconnector spring pushes the disconnecter bar counteracting to push the safety off. I did change the spring to weaker one. Same diameter and length but smaller wire dia and larger pitch. It was from a wolf variety pack. This helped but wasn’t enough. See below, I changed the engagement ramp angle of the safety that engages from on to off position. By changing it, the tip, or point of the lever ramp now rubs on the spring instead of two flat parallel faces gliding over each other. This creates more friction and is pushing more lengthwise against the flat spring motion instead with the arch. I can’t tell you the exact angle of change, but the flatter you make it the more resistance there is. The less radii at the tip the more resistance as well. This has zero impact on the ramp or resistance from safe off to on movement . I put just a dot of grease on it to allow it to wear in overtime not too quickly. The lever now feels same for on and off. Hope it helps, and let me know how it goes.

Automotive design Material property Bicycle part Motor vehicle Guitar accessory

Automotive tire Guitar accessory Bumper Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory

Font Musical instrument accessory Electronic device Bumper Rectangle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Please do a safety check to eliminate risk of an accidental Before operating the gun. Load only one round in the gun at ready position pointed down range. Adding additional rounds until you are comfortable the gun is operating as you intended

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any possible way to eliminate the safety ,ever on the right side? That right side, ambi safety lever pinches an area of my hand when I disengage it.
I don’t believe so without an actual new part being made, and it’s not all that simple of a part. It locks into the left side lever with a tang and unique c clip. Not only is it the right side lever, but the underneath side has a post that rotates a toggle moving the disconnect bar up and down, It also captures the upper portion of the disconnector and disconnector spring. I did consider grinding the outer face down to where there was only a smooth face over the top of that area and re-bluing it or ceracoat. This might achieve what you want. Without the posted modification to the retention detent, the exposed R safety lever is another place for it to get bumped and toggled off.
Revolver Gesture Finger Reflex camera Camera

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
60 Posts
I might just have to try this. I just need to come up with a disco spring. I've resisted reducing the the weight of the spring for reliability reasons, but as long as everything is kept clean, it shouldn't be a problem.

On the disco spring: 'bout lost it yesterday! Was reassembling the pistol and the spring got away from me as I was trying to slip it into place. Luckily, my work space has a non-carpeted floor, and I found it in less than 15 seconds! I was sweating it for a bit!

BTW: Nice pics!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did a bit of filing on the safety per your guide. It is a bit better in that it can be lightly brushed against and not disengage, where before it would. I won't do any more filing until I get a lighter disconnector spring and see what it feels like. I would like the on/off effort to be close to the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Received my spring pack from Wolff today.

Trigger Air gun Handwriting Gun barrel Wood

The spring I selected had a lighter wire, is slightly larger in diameter and bit longer.
Art Creative arts Beige Pattern Woolen

Sorry about the out of focus photo.:( I installed it without shortening it. Makes the safety work much more to my liking. I imagine that as the spring settles in, it will make the safety even better.

I thought the spring might drag some due to the slightly larger diameter, but the disconnector works smoothly.

I will probably see if there is a spring that will lighten up the FP plunger action some too.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received my spring pack from Wolff today.

View attachment 579094

The spring I selected had a lighter wire, is slightly larger in diameter and bit longer.
View attachment 579101

Sorry about the out of focus photo.:( I installed it without shortening it. Makes the safety work much more to my liking. I imagine that as the spring settles in, it will make the safety even better.

I thought the spring might drag some due to the slightly larger diameter, but the disconnector works smoothly.

I will probably see if there is a spring that will lighten up the FP plunger action some too.
Looks like the same spring. I shortened mine to 8 mm long. It it measure 2.3mm dia and .35m wire. I also shortened the pin block plunger spring. I have a post almost ready for all the trigger improvement that includes it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some may frown on this comment, but the gun will run without the disconnector spring. The spring in the trigger bar has enough force to keep it up, but the additional disconnector spring keeps it from bouncing up and down between the shot and reset.

·
Super Moderator
19,589 Posts
You're describing modifying a firearms critical components with tolerances well below what the eye can see and attempting these types of changes can be very dangerous and certainly deadly if done incorrectly. These changes should never be attempted at home without the proper training, skill set and tools.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I trimmed back the new disconnector spring, and replaced the FP plunger spring with a lighter one from the spring assortment. I think I'm done with the mods.

I'm carrying the pistol in my Uncle Mike's pocket holster to see if the safety still can be nudged off. I'm thinking not. Will see....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Removing the spring would completely solve the problem, but a little bit of crud might prevent the disconnector from fully returning to the fire position. I'll keep a spring in there to help a little bit to get it to the fire position
I wasn’t recommending removing it. I was just putting in context it’s function. If you’re a little light it’ll safely run. If you’re heavy it’ll push the safety off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts