Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been very pleased with my stable of revolvers; .38 s&w Victory 5", Model 36 (my wife's), and Model 28 Trooper. However, I want to add a semi to the mix as well. Leaning heavily toward the CSX and want to get y'alls thoughts.

Pros: Compact, hammer-fired, ambidextrous safety, trigger safety, 9mm, adjustable rear sight, metal frame, and choice of clips.

Cons: A bit of a process to take down and reassemble.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

Phil

· Registered
52 Posts
Do you need an ambidextrous safety? I'm right handed and the right side of the ambi lever drags on my hand when disengaging the safety, with my trigger finger extended along the frame. It's going to get ground off.

If you shoot your revolvers double action it will take some time and effort to adjust to the single action trigger. With persistence your accuracy will return. If you shoot your revolvers single action it will still take an adjustment, since the CSX trigger takes a few thousand cycles to lighten up. I'm guessing the trigger pull weight is 4-5# when broken in, which I think is about right for a self defense application.

The CSXs being manufactured now have fixed the 'false reset' problem, so you can ignore those video reports. Mine has been 100% reliable since day 1. I like it a lot and find it easy to operate with my aging weak hands.

· Registered
113 Posts
I have a CSX that is my primary EDC. I've replaced my P365XL, Micro 9 and Shield Plus as my EDC with this little beauty as it fits my hand perfectly. It's comfortable to carry and shoot. I actually like the ambi safety because I practice shooting with both hands so I want the ability to switch it off with either hand. The nice thing about the safety is the low profile which keeps them from getting switched back on from bumping them during recoil like my Micro 9. My trigger pull is at 4lbs 6oz and I really like the wider flat face trigger. Never did have any false reset problem. I like the EZ tab cocking lugs on the slide. This gun checked just about every box for what I like in a Micro sized pistol.

· Registered
52 Posts
I have a CSX that is my primary EDC. I've replaced my P365XL, Micro 9 and Shield Plus as my EDC with this little beauty as it fits my hand perfectly. It's comfortable to carry and shoot. I actually like the ambi safety because I practice shooting with both hands so I want the ability to switch it off with either hand. The nice thing about the safety is the low profile which keeps them from getting switched back on from bumping them during recoil like my Micro 9. My trigger pull is at 4lbs 6oz and I really like the wider flat face trigger. Never did have any false reset problem. I like the EZ tab cocking lugs on the slide. This gun checked just about every box for what I like in a Micro sized pistol.
Interesting. I've replaced my P365 with the CSX as well. I still carry my K6S sometimes and frequently have my Bodyguard in a pocket.

· Registered
34 Posts
“It's going to get ground off.”?

Please be careful. The right hand lever is the functional side of the “safety”. The left side contains the spring detent, and the right side contains the spring return, but more importantly, it actuates the cam that drives the disconnector down, and covers them both. It’s pretty thin and you can only go so far before it will weaken or break or leave a knife edge between the slide relief and the area that covers the spring and disconnector.
Area behind 1 is cut away for the slide. You’ll have very little covering the disconnector and it will make assembly even more difficult. Possibly inoperable.
Sleeve Grey Font Automotive design Personal protective equipment

· Registered
52 Posts
WOW! Thank you!!! You may have averted a tragedy. Cool cut away model. What do you think about filling the serrations with epoxy to make it slide more smoothly on the skin? Maybe a little judicious polishing?

· Registered
333 Posts
Hey all,

I've been very pleased with my stable of revolvers; .38 s&w Victory 5", Model 36 (my wife's), and Model 28 Trooper. However, I want to add a semi to the mix as well. Leaning heavily toward the CSX and want to get y'alls thoughts.

Pros: Compact, hammer-fired, ambidextrous safety, trigger safety, 9mm, adjustable rear sight, metal frame, and choice of clips.

Cons: A bit of a process to take down and reassemble.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

Phil
What do you want to do with it? A CSX is probably okay as a carry gun, although it is tiny. If you have hands that are the size of a grown man's, it won't be much fun to shoot.

As a range gun to have fun with, there are many other better choices. As a carry gun I guess it's okay as long as you want to most carry it and not fire it much. I've heard they also have poor triggers.

Reactions: Curt360

· Registered
113 Posts
What do you want to do with it? A CSX is probably okay as a carry gun, although it is tiny. If you have hands that are the size of a grown man's, it won't be much fun to shoot.

As a range gun to have fun with, there are many other better choices. As a carry gun I guess it's okay as long as you want to most carry it and not fire it much. I've heard they also have poor triggers.
Have you ever held or shot one? The CSX is a micro.. its primary function is a carry gun not a range gun. I have large hands and it fits my hands pretty well. The trigger is superb... And I just didn't "hear" that.. 4 LB 6 OZ trigger pull.. very short reset.

· Registered
333 Posts
Have you ever held or shot one? The CSX is a micro.. its primary function is a carry gun not a range gun. I have large hands and it fits my hands pretty well. The trigger is superb... And I just didn't "hear" that.. 4 LB 6 OZ trigger pull.. very short reset.
Right that's what I mean. It's a tiny little carry gun. I wouldn't want to have fun with one at the range. I've never shot one, but if you google CSX trigger you'll find about 10 million threads about "false reset" issues and overall poor trigger...including many threads on this board.

I think the issue was that since it sort of looks like a 1911 people were thinking that they'd get the same sliding 1911 trigger, which just isn't the case with a gun this tiny. There's just no room.

You're the first person I've ever heard calling the CSX trigger "superb." But hey, it's all usually a matter of opinion!

Reactions: Marshal_3

· Registered
52 Posts
Right that's what I mean. It's a tiny little carry gun. I wouldn't want to have fun with one at the range. I've never shot one, but if you google CSX trigger you'll find about 10 million threads about "false reset" issues and overall poor trigger...including many threads on this board.

I think the issue was that since it sort of looks like a 1911 people were thinking that they'd get the same sliding 1911 trigger, which just isn't the case with a gun this tiny. There's just no room.

You're the first person I've ever heard calling the CSX trigger "superb." But hey, it's all usually a matter of opinion!
The 'false reset' has been fixed with a new (white) chamfered firing pin safety plunger -- it's now a red herring that bashers continue to use against the pistol. You sited '10 million' out of date threads. The trigger is heavy when new, but when adequately broken in works in the 4 -5# range, which is appropriate for a carry gun. Replacing a P365 with the CSX indicates it's suitability as a carry gun and several of us have done just that. The CSX doesn't have near the problems the P365 had upon introduction, or the Sig 320 for that matter. I feel it's a legitimate contender in the micro 9 class and once the youtube blinded bashers let up, it will take off.

· Registered
1 Posts
The 'false reset' has been fixed with a new (white) chamfered firing pin safety plunger -- it's now a red herring that bashers continue to use against the pistol. You sited '10 million' out of date threads. The trigger is heavy when new, but when adequately broken in works in the 4 -5# range, which is appropriate for a carry gun. Replacing a P365 with the CSX indicates it's suitability as a carry gun and several of us have done just that. The CSX doesn't have near the problems the P365 had upon introduction, or the Sig 320 for that matter. I feel it's a legitimate contender in the micro 9 class and once the youtube blinded bashers let up, it will take off.
Exactly. I just traded into one of these and it is superb, also replacing my P365 as my primary carry gun. No false reset and a joy to carry.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

· Registered
113 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me that someone with absolutely no personal experience can form such a misguided opinion and spread that misinformation based solely on hearsay and conjecture.

· Registered
1 Posts
Also, I jumped on the P365 when they first came out. 4 pistols later, I finally had one that would work correctly and still have it today. Most new models have some type of flaw when first introduced to the public beta testing community.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

· Registered
333 Posts
Wow. To be a "basher" I would have to care. All I stated was my opinion and accurate facts about the gun. I also just asked the OP what he planned to use the gun for as probably most would say it's certainly not a range gun.

I'm personally not a fan of tiny tic tac sized pistols...they promote bad habits and aren't as easy to shoot.

You guys get really attached to your pistols, don't you? Lighten up man :D

· Registered
333 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that someone with absolutely no personal experience can form such a misguided opinion and spread that misinformation based solely on hearsay and conjecture.
The trigger issues were not hearsay or conjecture. They actually led to S&W making changes. Reading comments on recent videos I still see people that don't like the trigger.

Since you are upset though, forget I even mentioned the trigger. Most of my post was simply "I don't like tiny guns that are made for the hands of a small child or woman."

That still stands. :D

To the OP I say: If you're looking for your first auto, grab something that is fun at the range. 1911, Beretta 92, etc.

· Registered
113 Posts
The trigger issues were not hearsay or conjecture. They actually led to S&W making changes. Reading comments on recent videos I still see people that don't like the trigger.

Since you are upset though, forget I even mentioned the trigger. Most of my post was simply "I don't like tiny guns that are made for the hands of a small child or woman."

That still stands. :D

To the OP I say: If you're looking for your first auto, grab something that is fun at the range. 1911, Beretta 92, etc.
Ahhh.... ignorance is bliss.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got average sized hands, I suppose. Not really looking for something full-sized. Got that covered with the wheel guns.

I welcome anyone's opinion. I've held a CSX at my LGS and it fit my hands well enough. Haven't actually tried it out yet though.

I'm a careful sort. I like that it has a hammer and a safety. Compact, accurate for it's size and will fit my wife's hands as well.

· Registered
113 Posts
I've got average sized hands, I suppose. Not really looking for something full-sized. Got that covered with the wheel guns.

I welcome anyone's opinion. I've held a CSX at my LGS and it fit my hands well enough. Haven't actually tried it out yet though.

I'm a careful sort. I like that it has a hammer and a safety. Compact, accurate for it's size and will fit my wife's hands as well.
I can only offer this. My hands are a little larger than average with stubby thumbs. I can get pretty much of a full three fingergrip with the 12 round mag. I have a hard time reaching the mag release on all my pistols and truly appreciate the ability to swap the mag release to the other side as was the case with the CSX. The fact that it comes with a small and medium palm swell tells me there may be more in the offing for the future. The trigger just keeps getting better and better and the reset is very short and audible. If you have the opportunity to shoot one you'll find it to your liking.

In my quest for the perfect Micro size for me, I've gone from a Sig P365XL 12+1 (grip to large and barrel to long) to a Sig P365 10+1 (grip way to small) to a HK P30SK 10+1 (to chunky) to a Kimber Micro 9 7+1 ( not enough capacity) to a Shield Plus 10+1 (I really like the trigger) to now.. the CSX 12+1 (the perfect fit for me). The Shield Plus and the CSX are considered on the larger size of micro pistols... I've found in the CSX.. for me anyway, that it is the perfect size to fill my hand and have the many features I find appealing in my EDC.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts