Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that deer season is winding down and I am trying to back into some routine as my wife recovers, I am looking past deer season (what's left of it) it's time to turn hunting into pest control. The whole upstate NY area has been plagued with coyotes on a massive scale. There has even been a couple of articles in the local paper on the subject. Ten days ago I took the carcass of a roadkilled deer (was in good shape except for two busted legs and the .223 hole in the skull where the local deputy dispatched it) that I butchered. This is what it looked like only three days later. I took the picture on Thanksgiving morning. I also caught this coyote going by on camera earlier that same morning. The deer had been dragged about 20 yards from where I had left it. Season on coyotes is open until the end of March. Between ruffed grouse and coyotes, I will be hunting for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How heavy was that deer? Looked to be close to 100 pounds!! :eek: I think the trooper should have used a .300 H&H Mag to dispatch it! Course, then you would have only had 20 pounds of usable meat! :lol:

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it wasn't much of a deer, but I thought I would take it rather than letting it spoil on the side of the road. The deputy ended up dragging it onto the woman's lawn. When I got there it had only been dead about an hour and it was cool enough that the meat I did get was just fine. About 30 pounds I would say. With as busy as I have been and as dismal as the season is this year (I know guys who have been hunting 40-50 years who have never seen it so bad, I'll take what I can get).

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Time to coyote hunting David!! I am going to take my boys up to Dutchess county as seen if I can call in some yotes for them.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Chris,

Actually, this is Ryan's kill not mine..... His 721 is chambered in .30-'06.

Still, it's pretty safe to say that this yodeler only howled once and won't be down for breakfast.... :cool:

Drew

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
David Lapell said:
Season on coyotes is open until the end of March. Between ruffed grouse and coyotes, I will be hunting for quite a while.
I can't understand why any state would still not have an open season on coyotes? Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife does few things right IMO, but having no closed season on coyotes is on thing they hit spot on. Coyotes should be hunted 365 days per year...everywhere...period!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I let my knucklehead lab out at night (picture in avatar), I can hear him growling while chasing coyotes! I often worry that he may get into a pack of them and become their midnight snack! :shock:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No closed season here either, no bag limits for that matter... :p 365 days of fun.
I've not seen a single coyote in over a month, tomorrow being the last day of deer season here, this is looking like the first year in 5 or 6 that I haven't had a coyote have the misfortune of crossing my path during deer season. Maybe I'll get out there and go after a few with the AR this winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts