1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good article over at American Greatness:

https://amgreatness.com/2020/03/21/covid-19-the-elephant-and-the-house-cat/

Basically, from the article:

With every passing day, however, the evidence suggests that we will wind up on the lower end of that spectrum. “A population-wide case fatality rate of 0.05%,” he points out, “is lower than seasonal influenza.” The kicker:

If that is the true rate, locking down the world with potentially tremendous social and financial consequences may be totally irrational. It’s like an elephant being attacked by a house cat. Frustrated and trying to avoid the cat, the elephant accidentally jumps off a cliff and dies.

·
Premium Member
11,338 Posts
We have to survive the panic before we fix anything. 90% of the people tested to date have tested negative for the virus.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
We have to survive the panic before we fix anything. 90% of the people tested to date have tested negative for the virus.
That's 90% of the people with symptoms that were tested... The flu season itself is really bad this year - I've had it TWICE and I got the (worthless) shot, too.

This is so new, no one yet fully knows the progression it'll make. Meantime they've turned off the light switches for most of the world.

Still, if you also want to shut down the flu season, then shutting off interpersonal contact will do that, too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My ID doc friends insist that this is much ado over nothing. They’ve done extensive research on this, and they’re convinced that the fatality rate will be much less than 1%. As I’ve mentioned before – statistically insignificant. I also inquired if the negative test results were of patients exhibiting symptoms, and they said it wasn’t – it was from patients tested, and at this time, there’s no data on how many tested patients did and didn’t exhibited symptoms, and that criteria probably isn’t even being tracked, so we’ll most likely never know.

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
the COVID-19 virus, also know as the Chinese flu, which to date has killed—are you ready—276 people in the United States, almost all of them over 80, almost all with serious co-morbidities.

Two-hundred-and-seventy-six people! And yes, that frightening number will rise. It will be 400, 500 before you know it. Maybe when all is said and done, we’ll see 1,000-1,200 identified who have died from complications that can be traced to this respiratory illness.

-----

The above is from the OP's link and dated 3/21. It is now the evening of 3/24. The number of corona deaths is near 800. Just a couple hundred more deaths and this corona outbreak will be done?

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
Unfortunately, it didn't take till day after tomorrow or even tomorrow to breach the thousand mark for corona deaths. It's 11pm and already the death toll is 1027, with 247 additional deaths just today. If this trajectory keeps on... not good. Hopefully the lockdown will put the brakes on this soon.

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
Why is social distancing important now?

According to American Greatness, the corona outbreak is "all said and done" at 1,000-1,200 deaths. It's over.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I keep flipping back & forth on "Is this a real threat to me & the family?" to "This is no worse than the normal everyday Flu and is all a media driven event."

I think I'll settle to the right of center between the two. It's a real virus and people are dying, for sure. But then again, I am so distrustful of the MSM, I can't help but think it's an extreme exaggeration of a real virus, intentionally blown out of proportion for the purpose of derailing Trump's bragging rights on "The best economic boom this country's ever seen."

It is an election year, the Dems are desperate, and they would willingly destroy this country to get at Trump. That they have already proven. So I pray. I pray for leadership that will pull us out of this mess, and make us stronger as a result of having gone through it.

Facts can be distorted. Lies can be told. The truth can be hidden from view. Prayer works.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The economic disaster will be far worse than the Wuhan. There are approx 335 million people in the US. Even if 1 million died .. must of us would not know any of them personally. I know .. sounds heartless but .. peoples reaction to the wuhan is the worst part of the virus.

Some 3500 people died at the world trade building .. I met one person on the day of the attack who died in the attack strictly by chance. Outside of that .. I don't know anyone who even knew someone who died in the attack and I lived in NYC.

According to CDC .. 23000 have already died this year of flu and the number from FLU deaths could reach 59,000

Americans .. not Wuhan are what is the danger. We are behaving badly and are getting needlessly excited. Instead of trickle down economics we will see trickle up. Guy gets laid off from his restaurant gig cant make his rent, Guy owns a little property and because of restaurant man cant make his mortgage, because he cant make his mortgage the banks take his home and it becomes hud and section 8 housing ... Ugly wheel

The changes to EVERY Americans life due to the Economic fallout will GREATLY outweigh the damage done by the virus.

and before someone chimes in .. yes ..if I am one of the 1 million .. so be it. Everyone ... especially our elected leaders .. need to chill post haste

I have been shopping at lowes, at the grocery store and I think tomorrow I will go to my favorite indoor range which is still open.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
^Then why have the President and the Congressional Republicans been so successfully deceived?
The President listens to his advisers and his advisers are political animals like those in Congress and they go with the political winds. If the President asked the governors to re-open everything and more people die from the virus you know where all those fingers will be pointing. It's really up to the governors now.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Folks you can not just go by how many have "tested" positive. At least around here you can not get tested UNTIL you have all the symptoms. So by then you are very sick and have been exposed to x number of other people who then need to wait to get tested and so on.

About a week ago the number of case in Florida was around 50 or so. Today right now it is 2235.
Deaths have gone from 13 to 28

If folks are just looking at mortality rates, sure percentage wise it is not that high UNLESS you or a family member is one of them!

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/#latest-stats

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
It always has been and currently is up to the governors. Some states are on total lockdown, others are not. Some areas of the country are getting hit hard, like NYC, others others are not.

Keep in mind that the flu season is Oct-March with peak months typically in fourth and fifth months. The first corona death in the US was just Feb 29th. This outbreak is still in it's infancy comparatively speaking. It took 17 days from Feb 29 to March 17 to collectively reach 100 total deaths. A week later, 250 died in just one day yesterday. Looks like a heck of a trajectory. Hopefully the lockdown will help slow things down.

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, in the process of (hopefully temporarily) destroying the economy our political leaders have gotten their hands on $2 Trillion worth of influence. This is a documented fact.

Thus, I have more evidence based factual information behind that statement than any of the state Governors and city councils are using in justifying their "Home Rule Isolation" orders.

BTW, there appears to be a "boilerplate" for these orders. It declares that you can travel for reasons essential for the safety of your home. I think that buying guns and ammunition as well as practicing and training in shooting technique to maintain proficiency complies with that requirement.

What say you all?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
BTW, there appears to be a "boilerplate" for these orders. It declares that you can travel for reasons essential for the safety of your home. I think that buying guns and ammunition as well as practicing and training in shooting technique to maintain proficiency complies with that requirement.
I was just at the LGS. Not many folks there. I guess they've picked up their guns now.

The store hours have gone from 11 hours a day to 6. The range is closed.

Some ammo and guns have been restocked, but they must be hiding the ammo 'cuz the ammo shelves were filled with swag hats.

I was there for a new Magpul carbine hand guard and got a pic rail for it too. "Honest officer, I REALLY NEEDED this new hand guard for my AR. It was essential!"

:D

Seriously, we are pretty much staying in for our own safety, but I'll do what I want, when I want.

The wife was crapping bricks the whole time. It did provide for some comedy relief. She treated everything like it had cooties. I've never seen her like this TBH.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The President listens to his advisers and his advisers are political animals like those in Congress and they go with the political winds. If the President asked the governors to re-open everything and more people die from the virus you know where all those fingers will be pointing. It's really up to the governors now.
You said it better than could have, and with much fewer words. POTUS is facing the MSM's political bias, in an election year. It's no secret the MSM is in the pocket of the DNC, and they have nothing to offer this election cycle, so they start playing dirty. Real dirty.

I think it will eventually come out, but who knows when the American public will awaken.

I hope I'm right, and only time will tell.

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
The test only works if you have symptoms. So there is no point in testing people who don't.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The test only works if you have symptoms. So there is no point in testing people who don't.
Where in the WORLD did you get such an idea?
They can test for the virus on SURFACES for God's sake!
They can even test for the anti-bodies in your blood if you've been exposed and developed immunity to it.
They can definitely test and tell if you have it, whether you have symptoms or not.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts