Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer I had my eye set on a Model 629 in .44 mag at a local outdoor store. Finally got my money together and went up there and it was gone. I think they had it marked at $600 or $650. Anyways, I was kinda bummed so I kept my eyes open for a little and then stopped looking. The other day at the same facility I found another 629 in .44 mag. Looked it over and it looked nice. I noticed the grips didnt look like the ones I normally see, so I assumed it had them put on aftermarket. Well I got home and started digging yest. and was trying to look up the serial number: N708XXX. I couldnt find it anywhere, it was showing that it was not even made????? Well right at 8am I called Smith and Wesson this morning, and I took the grip off. Well the serial number under the grip is N780XXX. SO from the factory the serial number was stamped correct on the butt, but incorrect inside the cylinder well. They just swapped the 8 and 0, which I thought was funny that they would mess this up.

Also after some reading(I am still learning the entire dash thing, 629-2, 3, 4 etc.) My gun just says MOD 629, no dash no nothing. So while on the phone with S&W I found out my gun was produced June 20, 1980 and was the run of 1,133. The grips are rubber, they say- Presentation Grip by Pachmayp. So anyone know what she might be worth? I assume not much more then I paid, but like I said, still learning the about all the ins and outs of the S&W talk etc. Lock or unlock etc. Oh yeah, I paid $400 plus taxes, did not have the original box or papers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Your 629 with a 6-inch barrel is one of the early ones made in 1980 like S&W told you. In good condition, I believe your 629 is worth around $600. The correct stocks are checked, target type made of Goncalo alves with the extraction relief area on the left panel. Your revolver would have been shipped with a mahogany presentation case.

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Bill! :D Guess I will try to search for some factory style grips just for keeps-sake purposes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The condition is pretty good. There are some light marks on the exterior, but I will try to get some pics up shortly :cool:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Looks pretty good to me!

Bill's assessement is right on the money (as always!) in my opinion.

Pinned 629-no dash guns are tough to find in good condition. They typically saw alot of field use and the softer stainless surfaces show wear very quickly.

I paid alot more than $400 for my 6" 629-no dash, and that was 4 years ago.

You did well.

Drew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. Now my next question. Is this a collector type gun or alright to put a few rounds through it. I have several guns that stay in my safe for collector/sentinemtal purposes, so is this one to add or will it not hurt to put a few rounds through it? :?: I would like to find some factory style grips or original grips as well as the presentation box. Can anyone help me as to what I am looking for? Like I said, Im not new to guns, just new to this one :lol:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Since its been used, continued usage should not hurt any collector value it has, or will have in the future. That said, I'm sure you will lovingly care for it due to discovering that this version (629 no dash) is somewhat rare. Its still a $600+ value revolver in my book.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toroflow said:
Since its been used, continued usage should not hurt any collector value it has, or will have in the future. That said, I'm sure you will lovingly care for it due to discovering that this version (629 no dash) is somewhat rare. Its still a $600+ value revolver in my book.
Thanks Ken. Def. makes me feel good that I got lucky and fell into this. I just find it really funny how they mistamped the serial number inside the well. It wont be used much, but I would like to shoot it a couple times, maybe even take it into the woods once or twice. Also, what type of suggestions on cleaning and caring for the stainless. As this gun will always be cared for! :D

·
Administrator
8,110 Posts
I agree with Ken. Shooting it won't hurt the value or collectivity of your gun. Not taking care of it will have a negative affect.. But I'm sure you already know the latter to be true.

Congrats on your find, by the way. I've been on the lookout for a P&R 629 for a while, and have yet to even see one except in pictures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
carl418 said:
I agree with Ken. Shooting it won't hurt the value or collectivity of your gun. Not taking care of it will have a negative affect.. But I'm sure you already know the latter to be true.

Congrats on your find, by the way. I've been on the lookout for a P&R 629 for a while, and have yet to even see one except in pictures.

Thanks Carl. Once agian my "new-b ness" to revolvers, P&R is what? I feel like a dumb dumb not knowing all the lingo haha

·
Administrator
8,110 Posts
P&R is short for pinned and recessed; as in a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.

S&W stopped doing that around 1981-82. And, just to add to this tidbit of information, only the magnums and the model 17s had the recessed cylinders.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
carl418 said:
P&R is short for pinned and recessed; as in a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.

S&W stopped doing that around 1981-82. And, just to add to this tidbit of information, only the magnums and the model 17s had the recessed cylinders.

Thank you very much Carl. I am trying to get onto the other S&W forum because I thought last night I seen a set of grips, but the websight is not working #-o I would like to keep this gun as nice as possible. =p~

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hey Carl, not to be nit-picky, but how about instead of: "only the magnums and the model 17s had the recessed cylinders", we change it to read: "only the magnums and the rimfires (.22s) had the recessed cylinders"? Don't forget about all the great rimfire models S&W made: 17, 18, 34, 35, 43, 45, 48, 51, 63, 650, 651, and I'm sure a couple more I forgot! ;)

·
Administrator
8,110 Posts
Ken,
You're absolutely correct! I was in a rush and failed to think it through..

Thanks for catching that. I really don't want to pass out wrong information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
PSUHunter said:
carl418 said:

Thank you very much Carl. I am trying to get onto the other S&W forum because I thought last night I seen a set of grips, but the websight is not working #-o I would like to keep this gun as nice as possible. =p~
The other site has been working all day! Maybe you're not logging on correctly :?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts