Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the stuff Eugene Cunningham wrote about the old gunfighters. He knew many of them when they were still alive and devoted much of his writing career to telling their stories from the perspective of the actual participants rather than Hollywood and the dime novelists. Most of his writing was originally published in the 1920s-'30s.

Triggernometry has been republished several times and can often be found in the discount bins at the big bookstores.

He was also a novelist, and wrote tales in the style of Zane Grey. Texas Triggers is one of the many he wrote with plenty of action with lots of shootin' and hangin' - almost juvenile, but great entertainment, IMO.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Gonna have to go and look for that...sounds great.

I have every book that Zane Grey wrote. Managed to buy out a collection a year or so ago. Still reading from it. In about another year I'll be finished.

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to keep promoting Packing Iron by Richard C. Rattenbury:

This was an accidental discovery in a discount bin. Rattenbury is director/curator at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center in Oklahoma City. The book isn't just pretty pix, but has lots of text on US Military leather and covers civilian holster rigs from ~1840-1930.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
xtimberman said:
I need to keep promoting Packing Iron by Richard C. Rattenbury:

This was an accidental discovery in a discount bin. Rattenbury is director/curator at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center in Oklahoma City. The book isn't just pretty pix, but has lots of text on US Military leather and covers civilian holster rigs from ~1840-1930.

xtm
I've been there several times, always an enjoyable walk through!!! If you haven't been you need to go!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Doggone! This ought to be a thread on the Lounge, or maybe a whole separeate forum: Western History and Novels: Reads We Love & Reccomend!

Fellers, here is where my library just gets crazy. When I haven't read one in a few years, I'll go back and re-read, and make new notes in the margins, just to keep up.

A favorite I can recommend to everyone, bar none, interested in western history:

"Son of the Morning Star," by Evan Connell. It is superb from a literary, writing and history standpoint.

Pardon my scream, but THE BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN ABOUT THE CUSTER MASSACRE!
Check online or in your local big box bookstore. it's out there in trade paper and hardback, and is worth every nickel you will ever spring on a serious history.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts