Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So history of this gun, my grandfather carried it as a duty weapon for several years.(LOTS of holster wear) He passed it to my dad who carried it as his duty weapon in the late 70's to early 80's when he switched to a .357 mag. When it came time for me to wear the shield I carried an automatic, but being rural PD I opted for a 1911 馃榿.

Anyway, the lack of a prefix on the s/n (62278) indicates a pre war model. It has a heavy barrel and adjustable sight. I am not sure if the grips are factory or a modification added along the way. I am just curious to know what model I have. Be cool if I had a rarity as conversation peice. Not going to consider hocking my grandaddy's gun... it might not be "special," but it is to me.

From my own research I think it may be a 38/44 Outdoorsman 4" but not sure. Thanks.

Banned
Quick way to roughly date a S&W revolver is presense or absense of the upper side-plate screw, which was eliminated in mid-1955. Photo is an assembly no., not the ser. no., which is on the butt. It's a Combat Masterpiece model, very different from the Outdoorsman.

Registered
Yep its a Combat Masterpiece or model 15 (same thing) from well after WW2. When you open the cylinder does it say Mod 15 on the frame....opposite of where you found the number 62278. You will have to remove the grips to see the serial number

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

I agree on Combat Masterpiece for your Smith, a fine family heirloom!

Registered
Great revolver with some family history. Priceless in my book. Enjoy and pass it on.

Registered
The lack of the top side plate screw and absence of a model number sort of pin it to 1955-57. Since S&W's older serialization is often unique to models the lack of a letter prefix is not necessarily telling. The 4 line inscription on the lower right dates from 1948. And yes, it is a Combat Masterpiece and a treasured heirloom gun.

Registered
The serial number is on the bottom of the butt. Take the stocks off and check it. Should have a K in front of it.
The Combat Masterpiece is a great revolver. I have one in front of me that dates to the mid '50s. It has the smoothest double action trigger pull of any revolver I own.
Shoot it and enjoy it.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts