Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew gave this gun to my dad a few years ago and I have no idea what it is and neither did he. My father passed away 2 years ago and never got around to looking into any info about it. When firing it nothing happens. Its not hitting the center fire of the 22 bullet. Dont know how much it would be to repair it or if it would even be worth fixing but thought I would post and see. Any info anyone could tell me would be great. THere is also no serial number on it that I can see. Nor is there anythings scratched off that might have been a serial. Thanks Much.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I actually seemed to find that it may be an H&R Long Rifle CTG. IT also kind of looks like the barrel may have been cut to make smaller possibly. Any help would be nice and if it is actually worth anything. THanks again.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It should be striking the edge of the bullet, not center. If it is leaving an indentation on the edge but not a deep one it could be a weak mainspring and a fairly easy fix. I feel it is worth fixing as it was your fathers and it would be a nice memory piece. It does appear to be an H&R, but i do not know a lot about them and their models to tell you more

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
If we haven't said so before, welcome to the forum!

I had my granddad's 3rd Model H&R in .38 S&W. Mentioned it to a guy in an LGS one day, and he essentially said words to the effect that H&R in the 30's were the "Saturday night specials" of the day - inexpensive, generally worked OK, and pert-much not worth a lot today. Mine was badly pitted and the finish was *maybe* 50%... Definitely that one was pert-near worth more as a paperweight than a shooter. Remember these would have been guns that were thrown in the kitchen drawer, or a sock drawer, maybe cleaned after firing maybe not.

Yours is in FAR better condition. The grips don't look original to the gun, and the barrel has to have been cut down as it's missing the front sight. The condition is a plus, the mods a minus. If it were an S&W, the plated hammer and trigger would be a giveaway it was refinished. I don't know enough about H&R, but my WAG would be they didn't spend a lot of money on finish, and I don't recall my granddad's had a plated hammer or trigger. His was a plated gun, originally, too. If it were refinished, that would improve it's value as a KEEPER, but reduce it's value in a trade.

I'd say if it still looks solid, get the hammer issue fixed and enjoy yourself a family heirloom shooter. My WAG as to value would be in the $100-150 vicinity. I may be (and likely am) all wet on that. Other factors in the condition (how does the inside of the barrel look?) would perhaps lower that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help

Thanks so much for the help. I think I will indeed just keep it and get it repaired and keep it somewhere for a home protection or something. Not to familiar with fixing firearms but how hard is it to fix? It is a 9 shot. I kinda figured the barrel was cut down considering the sight is missing and you can see that it was ground down to make look a little better after doing so. Is fixing it something I could do or would you recommend taking it somewhere. I am pretty good with my hands at fixing things if I have somewhat if a know how to do it. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Brandonb028, it kind'a all depends on what you want to put into it.

Given you're new to gunsmithing, and not for-sure what's wrong with it, I'd get a 'smith at your local gun store to have a look. Prolly a good idea anyway if you plan to shoot it. .22s can't do the kind of damage .44 magnums could do, but you don't need steel splinters anywhere in any case.

It may be the hammer spring is weak or the tip of the pin is worn down; it may just be a bunch of dried grease in the gizzards of the thing keeping the hammer from going full travel, that's keeping it from shooting. I have a Winchester that didn't want to shoot anymore. Turned out to be gunk around the seat of the bullet rim. The round was a little shy of fully seated, and when the hammer hit, a lot of the energy was taken up seating the bullet the rest of the way, and not enough was always left to burn the primer in the rim. So it can be weird stuff like that. An experienced 'smith will know what to look for.

Plus he'll give you an estimate of what it'll take to check it over and clean it up, then how much more to fix it after he opens it up to see what's there. You'll have to decide if that's worth the investment.

You're free to open it up as much as you're comfortable doing. Be real careful with the screw heads, as 'smiths use specially ground screwdrivers to keep from wallowing out the slots. You may see enough you'd want to clean it up yourself and maybe not. Just depends.... Sorry can't be any more help than that.

Good luck - keep us posted on what you choose to do, and how it goes. We love things like that. if you take it to the range, tell us about the way it shot!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may take it to a gunsmith and see what I am getting into. Don't want to spend a tone of money on it either though. Since the barrel has been cut and there is no sites so its not worth much to sell if i decided to in the future. I will get it looked at and let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again for all the help. Take Care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have called a number of gunsmiths in my area and none of them want to even look at it because it is so old and they cant get parts for them. So i took the pleasure of digging into myself. All I want this thing to do at this point if fire more less. Not looking to sell it or carry it. (have a Glock for that purpose) Here is a photo of the under side of the stock. With this particular model if and when I pull the hammer back should it lock or no? It does not lock back unless I take out the Hammer spring(well flat medal spring lol) I gave it a good cleaning(best I could) but it still looks pretty nasty. Im sure with out a professional cleaning its the best its going to get for now. I guess I could search around and try to find a spring for it. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts