Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could tell me more about my 38 special. It was given to me by my grandfather. The barrel is 4”, the number stamped on the butt is S (far to the left) then 6720x, there is also the number 7031 on the frame when you open the cylinder. If someone could tell me the year and model number I’d appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Lisa! You have a very valuable post-WWII .38/44 Heavy Duty from late 1947 or early 48. Open the cylinder and remove the grips, then verify the serial number inside the extractor rod shroud, the face of the cylinder and the back of the right grip panel all match the S67xxx number on the butt frame. That is important to make sure the gun is completely original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry I might have put this in the wrong forum. If so where would be the appropriate place for the question?
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Lisa! You have a very valuable post-WWII .38/44 Heavy Duty from late 1947 or early 48. Open the cylinder and remove the grips, then verify the serial number inside the extractor rod shroud, the face of the cylinder and the back of the right grip panel all match the S67xxx number on the butt frame. That is important to make sure the gun is completely original.
Thank you so much! It is a very valuable to me because it was given to me by my Grandpa and shoots great.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Don't fret. You are in the right forum and, if not, the friendly moderators will move your post to the correct forum with a smile.

Your grandpa had great taste in firearms. You have one of about 9000 .38/44 HD Transitionals made. I recommend going to https://38-44heavyduty.com and sending the forum owner your serial for his database. When S&W started using model numbers in 1957, your HD would become the Model 20. Of course, by then the action was changed out from the long throw hammer to the short throw. As you apparently have already found out, they are great shooting guns with extremely manageable recoil. I love target grips on these guns but they may be a bit big for your hands. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
35,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As noted above that is a nice example of a model of S&W that many try to locate!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Congratulations you made you Grandfather proud, his gun is priceless to you enjoy it.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Enjoy the gun..something to cherish and pass on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't fret. You are in the right forum and, if not, the friendly moderators will move your post to the correct forum with a smile.

Your grandpa had great taste in firearms. You have one of about 9000 .38/44 HD Transitionals made. I recommend going to https://38-44heavyduty.com and sending the forum owner your serial for his database. When S&W started using model numbers in 1957, your HD would become the Model 20. Of course, by then the action was changed out from the long throw hammer to the short throw. As you apparently have already found out, they are great shooting guns with extremely manageable recoil. I love target grips on these guns but they may be a bit big for your hands. Enjoy!
Thanks you so much for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations you made you Grandfather proud, his gun is priceless to you enjoy it.

Thewelshm
I really love this gun, my grandpa gave it to me when I started backpacking at 16 for protection. Not the lightest option for backpacking but it was the pistol I was most comfortable shooting and it's very accurate. Shooting it brings back great memories of shooting with him and the heart to hearts we had while reloading in the gun room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts