Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting reloaded .38s and .380s for 17 cents a round from a reloader. I have been comtemplating reloading, but don't think it is worth it with the prices I am paying now.

Is it worth it to start reloading?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The old adage is you won't save any money, you'll just shoot more...

I don't know how you could cut too much from those prices, but you will get to select your own components, try different things, test your own recipes and become more self-reliant .... and that is priceless.

Drew

·
Registered
141 Posts
You won't save much, but I find reloading as much fun as shooting. I use once fired brass and figure 10 reloadings per case, cast bullets and 3.5 cent primer I'm at 12 cents per round for 45 acp. ,but I shoot more so not alot of savings.

G

·
0 Posts
Casting....

Lead is getting so expensive that casting is your best alternative to savings...
I still manage to get my wheelweights for nest to nothing, if not near free..

Past hoarding of primers gets me into the 2 cent range, and powder is about 2-3 cents. Add a penny or less for lube. So for 5-6 cents for most centerfire rounds...it was a no brainer for me. Even doubling that amount given our scarcity of material still makes it more then practical...

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hunter said:
I am getting reloaded .38s and .380s for 17 cents a round from a reloader. I have been comtemplating reloading, but don't think it is worth it with the prices I am paying now.

Is it worth it to start reloading?
I'd quit shooting before I would shoot someone else's commercial reloads in any of my firearms - that registers waaay too high on my Murphy's Law FUBAR meter. :shock:

It's worth it to me strictly for the sake of my eyes and the rest of my fingers. :|

xtm

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
The old adage is you won't save any money, you'll just shoot more...
That's my pat answer.

My question to you is, "How much is your time worth to you & do you want another hobby?"

$.17 around is fairly cheap when you factor in the total time involved in the reloading process (which includes travel & gathering up all the components).

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
I don't know if it's worth it or not, as far as money goes. Those prices are very good.

But, reloading is more than about money.

It's a great hobby by itself, and being able to tailor your loads to your guns is a huge benefit. JMHO..

G

·
0 Posts
I'm a bit weird....ya' I already know this to be true ;)
But I enjoy reloading almost as I do shooting...and that lead to casting my own bullets.

It's a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. One that gives you a real chance to unwind and spend some time in your personal space...(mancave) :D

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I want to start reloading, but right now time is a premium. A friend of a friend might have a lead on some used equipment and if it pans out I will probably get it and start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts