Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week a few years back, I went for a drive to visit an old friend to the south.
Whats this? The crazy dog Leapshin is barking out in the garage, he won't shut up. You know how it is with any small terrier, right? I don't know him that well, but know that something must be up, he doesn't act like this normally. A bit of investigation...he's just being stupid, says his Mom. Naah I don't think so, said I, and proceeded to investigate a little further. The dog is circling a barrel and barking his head off. I look in, down at the bottom, and hola! There is the reason for all this the commotion! The dog barks and barks and barks and won't stop, I have to push him away, he knows not the danger. Mom screams and just about wets her pants :mrgreen: when I pull this little cooperhead out of the barrel, how did it get in there I wonder? I stop to take a couple of pics with a cell phone. I took this one out back and let it go in the woods.
Got up the next day and long story short: thers a copperhead in the driveway, a little one this time. OK, what is this all about? I layed down to take it's picture, then got up to look around. Upon an investigation I found several more of them, all smaller in size, carbon copies of the one in the driveway. Some sort of den or nesting site was there. many slithered away. Several of them went in to the same bag I used the day before. A couple of others, a newly hatched model and what I assume was Mom, I put aside to take more pics of, seen below. The newborn Copperhead can be told by the yellow tip of the tail. The Mom I think is absolutely pretty, beautifully marked. I didn't try and stretch her out to measure her, but I figure she was about 3 feet long, maybe a few inches more. The baby snakes were all just a few inches long, they look much bigger in these pics than they actually were.
I let all of them go, out in the woods.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff40 said:
I let all of them go, out in the woods.
Hope it's no where near where I go fishing, hunting or woods tramping.....

They are venomous and dangerous....

With all due respect to your sensibilities Geoff if I see one around my place, I'm going for the hoe....

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I would have been posting pictures of copper heads with crushed heads.They are responsible for biting more people in the usa than any other snake and they are millions of snakes ahead of being endangered.My buddy out in tenn kills them constantly along with cotton mouths.He lives by kentucky lake and packs a 22 revolver every where because they are every where.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never been much of a fan of any reptile meat, not even 'gator tail or frogs legs. I realize most people would have killed them-I don't hold that against them, but in my defense I am a former herptile society member and I am comfortable around snakes, even venomous examples. We have a few populations of rattlers right here in NH. Most people who get bitten by a copperhead get it when they try to kill the snake, generally if you leave them alone, give them a chance to go away, nobody gets hurt. Works for me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Geoff,
Great pics!
As you know we don't have them out here. In fact your pics are the first I have seen of that species. Have to admit they ARE a handsome critter.

Next week I am heading to NE Oregon in the Blue Mountains (Hey Pierce, I'll wave to La Grande for you when I roll through). There are plenty of rattlesnakes in that part of the state. A couple of years back I saw a very unusual one - it was entirely green. The color of day old guacamole. The dogs and I gave it plenty of room.. were it bigger I would have been tempted to keep it for its skin though. I know hter eis a Mohave Green Rattlesnake.. but we are a long way from the Mohave. Never seen a green one before. Might make a nice holster? :mrgreen:

Dan

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've come across copperheads more than I care to. I have found them to be more aggresive than other local snakes. Most snakes will move off if approached....or stumbled upon, rapidly in most cases.

Copperheads, in my experience, do not. They start striking. I shoot them when I come across them within 100 yards of houses these days. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to catch those for fun back in the day.
Be extremely careful with those little buggers.
The babies are born with a full serving of venom ready to go.
It just takes less than a second for them to zap you.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Many years ago, my grandma got bit on the foot by one that was hiding between the welcome mat and the front door. She nearly died from the effects of the poison. They're not particularly aggressive, but a bite can make you more than "sick"!

xtm

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I live in copperhead country. What I have been able to glean is that when threatened or at least approached they lay very still. Most folks who are bitten by them have blundered on to them and not seen them until they have been bitten. I have been cautioned to be particularly careful around barns.

My nephew was putting in a new pressure tank for my well last week and was leaning on the cement block foundation of my pump house as he worked. My son came home from work and saw what he was doing and cautioned him about a copperhead he had seen there the day before. My nephew got a Gurka knife I'd given him and stirred it around in the cement block hole - Up popped Mr. Copperhead striking, the nephew took his head off with the knife. My closest neighbor got one with his hoe the same week. This story kinda reinforces what I've heard about them lying still - My nephew coulda riled that snake up sooner or later and..............

Oh yeah, I have shot shells for my 357's and 45's and usually have at least a J-frame in my pocket when outside.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Yeah Dave, that was my policy when living in south Florida. I'd be out in the Big Cyprus Swamp and come in close contact with
cottonmouth moccasins. I gave them the right of way as from what I have seen they can be aggressive. As long as there wasn't a real threat I let them be.

Here in the Blue Ridge, copperheads are a threat because you usually don't see them until your on top of them and I have 4 dogs. So the mutual respect pact has been cancelled forthwith.

Hank

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Geoff, I knew you were a herp when you mentioned that you laid down in the driveway to take the picture - only a true herp would do that. BTW, your version of Copperhead (Northern) is much more colorful than the ones we have in central TEXAS. Good job on the photos - great examples of the color variation within the same species, in the same area. Glad you released them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.