Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired at a range about buying one of their rental pistols, a 5906 with adjustable rear sight. The owner appears open to the idea, so if the price is right I might jump on it. I didn't get the chance to shoot it at the time since I saw it when I was leaving, but it will be nice to have the chance to rent it before committing to buying it. I already have a 4506-1 and a 4006TSW, so this would help round out the collection of full-size 3rd-Gens, with only the elusive 1006 remaining. Not sure yet how many mags are included.

Since this is a rental and appears to be well maintained, I'll have to ask a few questions and see if they know whether any internals have been replaced. Anything in particular I should be looking out for besides the usual wear?

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I'm no expert 5906 was one of my first pistols. I guess look for beat up rails and rattle if slay spring and rivet is busted or missing. . Mine was rarely fired but was gunked up a little with oil and sprayed the action with gun scrubber. The only problem was weak mag spring and corroded safety plunger and spring . I bet being a rental will need a good cleaning , rentals were I shoot are filthy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I carried a 5906 on the job for 15 years but they were only shot twice a year. Like was mentioned above, check out the rails and springs. Otherwise I'm not sure much else can go bad unless maybe the barrel can be shot out of these things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea of round count nor how often it gets rented nowadays, my guess is it spends most of its time in the case. Hopefully this Friday I'll have a chance to evaluate it more closely.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Bring a light, look at the bore.

IIRC, parts for most GEN IIs and GEN IIIs are getting harder to come by.

·
Premium Member
17,283 Posts
These days, parts come up regularly on Ebay for the 59XX type pistols, as the alloy framed versions get worn out and they get parted out. the SS units are mighty robust. It could work out to be a bargain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I went back to the range today to shoot the rental 5906. It is fairly accurate, action is butter smooth, no hiccups whatsoever. It hadn't see much action in recent years, as I figured. I decided it would make a good addition to the collection so II bought it, brought it home and cleaned it as best I could. Apparently it hadn't seen much cleaning either because internally it was filthy; at some point I'll detail strip it and have it sonic cleaned.

A couple pics of the new baby, plus one of the whole family:

5906_1.jpg 5906_2.jpg 3gsw.jpg

Next on the list is a nice 1006 to round out the collection, before they get too expensive!

·
Premium Member
17,283 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
How do you like your 4006TSW? I've been wanting to get one but haven't jumped on one yet as the ones I've seen on the web are hard to tell their real condition from the pictures shown. I'd hate to spend the money for an Excellent+ one and get something that is really just Good.

Mike

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
So I went back to the range today to shoot the rental 5906. It is fairly accurate, action is butter smooth, no hiccups whatsoever. It hadn't see much action in recent years, as I figured. I decided it would make a good addition to the collection so II bought it, brought it home and cleaned it as best I could. Apparently it hadn't seen much cleaning either because internally it was filthy; at some point I'll detail strip it and have it sonic cleaned.

A couple pics of the new baby, plus one of the whole family:

View attachment 434529 View attachment 434531 View attachment 434533

Next on the list is a nice 1006 to round out the collection, before they get too expensive!
Congratulations mate,shoot it in good health

Thewelshm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like a very nice 3rd Gen!

When I read that it was a rental gun at a range, I pictured an abused, floppy, loose, and dirty unit with a million rounds through it

Congrats

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I passed on buying one when they first came out and bought a Beretta 92FS instead. Always regretted not buying the 5906 so looked for quite a while but they were scarce. I eventually found one for sale from a member on this forum a few years ago and I'm glad I finally have it in the collection. Shoots great and looks great! I've been wondering about night sights but not sure how to facilitate them with the "wings" around the rear sight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you like your 4006TSW? I've been wanting to get one but haven't jumped on one yet as the ones I've seen on the web are hard to tell their real condition from the pictures shown. I'd hate to spend the money for an Excellent+ one and get something that is really just Good.

Mike
I wasn't expecting a perfect specimen, knowing that it was in & out of a holster every day of its life. As such it has a bit of holster wear and the lettering is a little worn, but it shoots like a dream. Although there is a little cosmetic wear, there is very little operational wear. The gun is very heavy, and the weight tames the .40 and makes it seem like shooting mild 9mm. If you're thinking about getting one of the CHP trade-ins, don't think too long, I think this is the last batch.

Mine came with Hogue rubber grips, so I bought a straight factory grip from Midway and miraculously found some 10-round mags on ebay (mag-limited state, unfortunately).

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
You can't go wrong if the price is right. 9mm does not beat up the slides and frames like the .40 does. You should be fine. i carried one fro several years prior to going to the Glock's in our agency Out thousands of rounds through it and its still ticking away. Lots of scratches and dings from shooting and hard training But still great shooter. !!!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts