Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my 686+, but I think I can like it even more. I have medium hands but short fingers, so I think I need grips that fit a little better and give more positive control. The stock grips are nice, but I like to keep a high grip and I find that with the finger grooves where they are my hand slips down lower than I'd like. Sorry if this has been re-hashed several times but I'm finding the number of options is staggering. Anyone with a similar hand type, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you don't mind rubber the Hogue Bantam grips work well with my short fingers and you can get all the way up on the gun. My ahrend banana grips are awesome and feel so natural but if you need to get way up high they may not be perfect for you.

ahrends1.JPG

686.JPG

Sorry .. I looked but dont have any pix with the Bantam grips on the gun.

Wait .. found a pic online with the bantam grips. With the bantam grips you can get the web of your hand right up under the hammer if you like

62000-hogue-bantam-grip-smith-and-wesson-k-l-frame-round-butt-revolvers-black-3.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind rubber the Hogue Bantam grips work well with my short fingers and you can get all the way up on the gun. My ahrend banana grips are awesome and feel so natural but if you need to get way up high they may not be perfect for you.

View attachment 438189

View attachment 438191

Sorry .. I looked but dont have any pix with the Bantam grips on the gun.

Wait .. found a pic online with the bantam grips. With the bantam grips you can get the web of your hand right up under the hammer if you like

View attachment 438193
Thanks! I found a video of a snub 686 with Bantam grips on it. They look like they would work well. Of course with the exposed back strap I'd lose the cushion at the top of the grip frame. BTW your Banana grips are pretty sweet looking.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Don't sweat the exposed backstrap. It lands up in the web so you don't really need cushion there. The bantam's put the rubber where you need it .. right at the bones. I found them quite comfortable to shoot even shooting a box of full blast .357

·
Registered
203 Posts
I assume by your responses that you have a round butt frame?

If so, another option is the Pachmayr Compac Pro:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003973941

It's an open backstrap grip, and works well if you have short-medium fingers. This has been my favorite shooting grip on a K/L round butt for almost 30 years. It's not as pretty as wood, but it works great.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
What grips came on your 686? I have the Bantams on my 2.5 inch and they are comfortable to shoot with but I prefer the look of wood. One of these days I am going to order a set of Thai bantam grips from ebay. Looks like they fit the same as the rubber ones
bantams.jpg bantam is.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my 686 Plus with a set of Kim Ahrends cocobola grips. I have some bigger mitts, they were hard to hold on to.

Decided to go with Altamont "Coke Bottles". Much better for me, especially with full house 357's.

6862.jpg 6861.jpg sw1.jpg sw2.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts