Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two Model 57s showns below, S253644 with a four-inch barrel and S253645 with a six-inch barrel were special ordered as a consecutive pair by Morley-Murphy Company, Green Bay, Wisconsin. The guns were ordered with smooth stocks made of rosewood. The pair was completed on August 15, 1965 and shipped on August 18, 1965. True consecutive pairs are quite rare and S&W did not like to make them as it required a special coordinator to walk the pair through manufacturing. S&W charged an extra ten percent per revolver for this service ($15/revolver in 1965).

Bill

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Well done Doc. Great photography as usual.
October 1964, American Rifleman. Maryland Arms Co. was selling them for $119.95 {Model 28s were $73.50}

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Those sure are beauties!! I drool every time Doc posts these pictures.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
$ 15 per revolver EXTRA?!
Bill, that was highway robbery, and although it's long-since passed, I'd like to help out by offering to take the guns off your hands without any surcharge, right now.
Heck, I'll even pay shipping! :lol:
Seriously, though...
Real fine examples of what used to be possible.
Thank you for another fine post.
Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doc - a photography question:

What method do you use to support your revolvers when you photgraph them?

Do you have to PhotoShop them out? I can just barely see an irregularity underneath each one but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks - I'm trying to improve my photo skills and would appreciate knowing how you do that so well!

Also, your lighting is perfect! If you have any secrets to that I'd like to know - I do already know that you have a commercial photo box (I use a home-made one).

RonJon

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RonJon...I use a D-flector portable photo studio that you can see at www.sharpics.com Each revolver is supported in an upright position by placing a Q-tip in one of the cylinder lock up points and supporting it against the back of the portable studio. All of this will make more sense when you see what a D-flector is. I use a Nikon D70 with a SB600 flash and point the flash straight up to slightly back. The photo studio does the rest to evenly spread the light.
Overhead lighting is fluroescent that comes from four tubes in a normal overhead fixture.

I edit and store the photos using Picasa 3. It is a free download from Google.

Bill

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Thanks for the photo information and tips, Bill! We all look to your posts - and several of the other fellows' - as the best photographic examples for the rest of us to strive to achieve!

Do you post directly from Picasa 3 to this forum? I just updated from Picasa 2 and previously had to store pix in Photobucket (Not my favorite hosting 'site!) in order for me to easily post here on this particular forum. I haven't learned the ropes on Picasa 3 yet, so don't know what all I can do with it. I am pretty slow on the uptake with photographic posting on the internet. :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xtm...I export my photos to fototime for posting on the forums. However, you may be able to post directly from Picasa. I have not investigated doing that because fototime works so well.

Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doc,

Thanks for the info - I think I will look for some material similar to your reflector mat and incorporate it into my home made photo tent.

The Q tips are an ingenious idea! They hardly show at all!

Thank you!

RonJon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doc44 said:
RonJon...I use a D-flector portable photo studio that you can see at http://www.sharpics.com Each revolver is supported in an upright position by placing a Q-tip in one of the cylinder lock up points and supporting it against the back of the portable studio. All of this will make more sense when you see what a D-flector is. I use a Nikon D70 with a SB600 flash and point the flash straight up to slightly back. The photo studio does the rest to evenly spread the light.
Overhead lighting is fluroescent that comes from four tubes in a normal overhead fixture.

I edit and store the photos using Picasa 3. It is a free download from Google.

Bill
Hey Doc - I made a few quick & dirty mods to my photo box and used the tips you gave me (curved white background, q-tip gun support, etc.)

So here is a sample of my first results using your ideas! This is my 'new' 586-3 from my other posting:

Am I getting closer? :geek:

RonJon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts