Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to concealed carry and I don't know a great deal about any holster other than tactical ones I use before. I was wondering what people's recommendation of the best holster would be for all-day use and comfortable. I really don't know much about them.
Any of you have one and have any bits of knowledge to share?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Are you looking for IWB or OWB, leather (I recommend) or kydex? Start with what you think you want and then go searching, it doesn't matter because soon you will have another and another and pretty soon a box of holsters.

bob

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm new to concealed carry and I don't know a great deal about any holster other than tactical ones I use before. I was wondering what people's recommendation of the best holster would be for all-day use and comfortable. I really don't know much about them.
Any of you have one and have any bits of knowledge to share?
Thanks
Hey Neborwillin .. what are you looking to carry and how deep do you need the concealment?

Alex

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
My preference is for the Kydex holsters. Simple ones (avoid anything with retention locks that you have to disengage). It will be concealed, so there is less an issue with someone seeing it and trying to disarm you - something police open carry always risks.

While I preferred well made leather holsters for years, about 5 years ago, I switched to these simple kydex holsters. My preference is inside the waist just behind the hip bone (4 Oclock carry for right handed).

Any holster you buy must be fitted for the specific model firearm you're carrying so that retention and positioning will be consistent. The goal is to allow one handed draw and one handed replacement in the holster without having to fuss or open up the mouth of the holster. For that reason, a leather holster needs stiffening to keep it open after draw and facilitate re-holstering.

Kydex is thin making the holster feel less bulky. It's also waterproof. The design should completely cover the trigger guard, and use a dimple to retain the firearm when fully holstered. The magazine release button and any finger operated control levers (safety, decocker, magazine release) should be covered and protected from accidental activation.

One of my favorite makers is Zorn. This is an example: https://www.zornholsters.com/a2z

Here are more examples: https://www.concealmentexpress.com/collections/iwb-kydex-holsters

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/holsters.html

https://www.galcogunleather.com/triton-kydex-iwb-holster_8_7_1318.html

I'm unaffiliated with these vendors, and there are hundreds of people with small businesses making these. You'll find them at very low cost on Ebay. Quality of fitment and finish varies, but make sure you order one molded for the specific firearm.

I like a holster that clips onto the belt securely with either a kydex or metal clip. You don't want the holster and gun to come out of your belt together when you draw.

Once you get a holster, you should practice a consistent draw technique. We do this in our classes and in our concealed carry qualifications.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
If you intend to carry IWB, consider your wardrobe. Can you actually button your britches with the gun/holster inside? Are you someone that can wear a cover garment like a jacket or vest, or are you like me and get too hot wearing such garb indoors? Will you be able to carry at work, or will you have to put the gun on and off multiple times per day?
All of these things play into your choice, hence the "box of holsters" mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I’ve been in a position where de concealment was essential. I settled on a “packin T” — a t-shirt with Velcro patches under arms that take a nylon Velcro holster. Works with small autos and j-frame snubbies. Not the fastest access but better than locking it in the car a half mile away. I also sometimes use a Galco ankle glove for my j-frame revolvers. I use the suspenders with mine so it stays put. Vanishes under relaxed fit jeans.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
For a J frame or sub compact semi auto, pocket carry is an option, but again, use a well fitting holster designed for pocket carry

·
Registered
15 Posts
My recommendation for IWB is Crossbreed. I've tried quite a few and these guys do the trick for me. Everything from my little 60-9 up to a full size double stack .45 ACP.

If you decide to go with a shoulder rig Sam is the man to talk to. I use his Monarch rig for the .357 and the .45.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I've sometimes gone through 2 or 3 makes and/or styles until finding one that works for me with a particular firearm.
Sometimes you're also very limited as to what's made for that particular weapon unless you go the custom route.
Quality is your friend.

·
Registered
19,415 Posts
For a J frame or sub compact semi auto, pocket carry is an option, but again, use a well fitting holster designed for pocket carry
I first bought a leather pocket holster for my M-36. I found it to be kind of bulky, too big, and too heavy. I got rid of it, and bought a cheap ($10) nylon pocket holster that' much lighter, and simple design, by BlackHawk. I do use it, but prefer an IWB leather holster by Hume. I've got one that has the belt loops, for my M-36, and one that is a clip on for my Ruger LC9s. Make sure they are comfortable to wear inside your pants. I wear a loose 38 waist size, but 36 is too tight with the holster and gun. ;) Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
there is also the bigger question of what type/style/shape of handgun, particularly for IWB.

for example, this can be a chore for a K frame smith.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
As lawdog said, quality is your friend! Cheap won’t take everyday use, in my experience. Kramer Leather has excellent products, including double thickness horsehide belts in 1.25” or 1.5” widths. The 1.25” looks like a dress belt ,but will take a steel-frame Commander and a pair of reloads without rolling up or sagging. Looks normal, whatever that may be! Horsehide holsters wear like iron ( long-lasting), are comfortable for me ( your body shape matters! ), in either IWB or OWB . I have both for both autos and revolvers. I now carry a steel frame Ruger Speed-Six with Kramer double thickness horsehide belts. No problems. Their horsehide holsters hold their shape and retain the pistol without screws, switches,levers,etc. I’ve been thrown from a horse, taken a tough fall in the creek, never lost my weapon. Excellent products! PS- His holsters stay open for easy , one- handed re-bolstering. Doesn’t sound like much, but can be a very big deal in certain circumstances! Hank

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Depends on what and how you intend to carry.

I carry an LCP in my pocket "all day" every day. Cheap DeSantis Nemisis holster.

As far as all day concealed carry comfort... most guys I know have plenty of full and mid-size guns along with a variety of holsters they don't carry much, and end up with small and light gun like an LCP or 642 for all day EDC.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with and how it works for ya.

IMG_0567.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts