Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my concealed carry class, with holster, drawing, and shooting drills. I was aiming for center mass the whole time, until we did a final triple tap drill (two shots to the chest, one to the head). For all other shots, every shot was in the center main target zone in mine. These are all fast draw and quick fire drills. Gun used: S&W Shield in 9 mm. Holster: Pegasus. Distance: 5-7 yards. Suggestions for further practice? These are not my groupings with normal, aimed, breath controlled range practice. Those are much better. This was my first time doing drills and range time drawing from holster. Not bad.
View attachment 150012

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Tan
Ammunition Trigger Gun accessory Metal Air gun

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Hey MV,

Good work.

The Shield can be hard to hit with, in a hurry!

That is some really good practice..

As a suggestion, use a paper plate in center mass.

When all hits from draw are in paper plate, (practice the "first shot/s"...draw. Fire one shot. Holster. REPEAT) switch to a 5" paper plate.

Use a recipe card for the "upper" A zone.

Then, work some "weak hand only" into your practice sessions....

Dry fire is a great boon to this type of work!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MV,

Good work.

The Shield can be hard to hit with, in a hurry!

That is some really good practice..

As a suggestion, use a paper plate in center mass.

When all hits from draw are in paper plate, (practice the "first shot/s"...draw. Fire one shot. Holster. REPEAT) switch to a 5" paper plate.

Use a recipe card for the "upper" A zone.

Then, work some "weak hand only" into your practice sessions....

Dry fire is a great boon to this type of work!

Later, Mark
Thanks! Good feedback.

We started with single draw and shoot, then reholstered drills.

Then draw and two shots, with reload of one mag once i ran out.

Then triple (two body, 1 head), including reload.

Those dinner plate and index cards sound like good ideas. I need to practice these things now outside of the class. Dry fire included. And, especially drawing from concealment and holster to fire.

The Shield I've found is fairly accurate when aimed carefully, for what it is. But not as much as some larger pistols.

We also had about 1.5 hours of classroom discussion, videos, situational stuff, a bit of law, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For first time 'Draw & Fire' drills with a short barrel pistol, you did very well.
With ammo as expensive (and hard to get) as it is right now, Dry Fire is definitely the way to go.
A while back, I purchased a Laser Cartridge for practice. the laser activates when the striker is released, letting you know exactly where your shot hit. It's the only type of 'laser' allowed near my pistols. :D (just joking)

There are several brands and suppliers out there. I got mine through Laser Ammo.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For first time 'Draw & Fire' drills with a short barrel pistol, you did very well.
With ammo as expensive (and hard to get) as it is right now, Dry Fire is definitely the way to go.
A while back, I purchased a Laser Cartridge for practice. the laser activates when the striker is released, letting you know exactly where your shot hit. It's the only type of 'laser' allowed near my pistols. :D (just joking)

There are several brands and suppliers out there. I got mine through Laser Ammo.
Thanks very much! Yes, I'd like to work on dry fire, and am considering one of those home laser kits or similar.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Thanks very much! Yes, I'd like to work on dry fire, and am considering one of those home laser kits or similar.
Hey MV,

They make a BLUE GLOCK....uses compressed air to simulate recoil & cocking. With laser designator.

The last primer "shortage" several fellows got them to train with. Seemed to help...

Later, Mark

Reactions: Madviking

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
Gosh... S&W Shield. No more bad (target) guy...

Now on to tactical training with bad (target) guy moving... Or some symbol / letter / color / number target training....

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gosh... S&W Shield. No more bad (target) guy...

Now on to tactical training with bad (target) guy moving... Or some symbol / letter / color / number target training....
Well, we do what we can. It's the class they had available. And, I had zero holster, drawing, and shooting drill experience. It did it's job for a single class. My next goal is a tactical class as mentioned.

When you say gosh S&W Shield, what does that mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts