Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking of buying a new gun specifically for Concelaed carry. I already own a 3913, and would trust it anywhere, but hey, the wife gave me the go ahead, and she likes the 3913 in the safe at the night stand.So I narrowed it down to the M&P9c, springfield xd 9 sc, or glock 26. If I could find an affordable smith CS9' I would jump on it.But, .... I saw the the Kahr CW9 today and it really caught my eye. I felt nice, smooth features for carrying, and real thin like a 3913. However, it seemed dang near impossible to rack the slide. I felt embarrassed as I feebly attempted to lock it back. The salesman told me Kahrs are known for their strong recoil springs but this seemed way too much.Does this sound normal? I sure don't want a gun that I or my wife find very difficult to operate.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I'm not familiar w/ the Kahr but would hesitate to buy anything that has the potential for problems... if you need it (or need to clear it) you won't have time to fight w/ a tough slide. The Generation 4 Glock 26's are much improved from the gen 3's (which are good too), the M&P 9's and Springfield XP's are also good. It's not a bad idea to get another gun that operates like the one you have so when things get weird @ 2 am you don't have to fumble to remember where safeties are, etc... why not look for another 3913?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Arty ,

I've got an XD9sc and really like it . Calling it a sc is a bit of a stretch . More of a compact size .
It's quite chunky being a doublestack . Holds 13 or 16 w ext mag . Feels very good in hand .
Very reliable , eats any ammo . Easy takedown .
You get the feeling that you could drop it in a muddy creek , fish it out the next day , towel it down and shoot it . Pretty much all you need in a SD weapon .

I think a M&P is very comparable . Felt good to me .
I shot it and liked it .

A Kahr is VERY different .
Very slim , if u want that . I didn't like the feel of it .
Less rounds .
Very long , stiffer trigger pull .
More sensitive to ammo . All Kahrs need a minimum 200 round breakin period .
They are indeed built very tight .
I looked at Kahrs real closely and spent a lot of time on their forum site .
If I was gonna buy one today , I would look at the MK9 . Heavier , w a metal frame . More $ .
They seem to have more problems w their poly frames . For SD , I would be a bit leery .
I'm sure a lot of people will defend the PM/CM/CW frames , but for me I'll pass .

Go to a range and rent ones of interest .
I did and it def helped me make my decision .
No regrets .

Regards ,
George

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the advice. I'm not in a rush, but I'll steer clear of anything that I can't rely on easy operation.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I am also a veteran of the 3913. In turn I have owned a CW9, K9 and for the last several years a TP9. This one compares favorably with the 3913 with a longer sight radius,a better grip especially with a single ridge Houge slip-on.

It is my principal IWB carry (windbreaker season).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would go with the M&P 9c or Glock 26. I own and carry one or the other.

Most people I talk to or let shoot mine prefer the Glock trigger and the M&P ergonomics. Both have options for aftermarket parts and many change the M&P trigger to an Apex product. I've always liked my M&P trigger as it came from the factory. I shoot a lot so it's very smooth.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
ARTY, Have you looked at a Walther PPS 9mm or a PPS 40? It's single stack, just about as slim as a pistol can get, and it feeds everyting I can put in the magazine. It has a trigger guard magazine disconnect that I really like. I wish S&W would adopt it for their new pistol lines. They are at the top of the price point for a 9mm pistol and close to the top for a 40, but they're worth every penny you'll pay. There are some pretty good deals out there if you don't mind buying a used pistol.
It suprisingly absorbs recoil quite nicely. My wife picked out the PPS 9mm, and I'm flat impressed by it. If I had to choose between it, or my 669 I'd probably pick the PPS first. But it's her pistol, and not mine. Food for thought.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
I checked out a Kahr PM 9 in a gunshop. It was smaller in size, but seemed quite heavy to me. The Ruger LC9 would be my choice if I wanted an auto. It is about the same size and weight of my M-36, but can hold 8 rounds. IF I was in the market for a new carry gun......this would be it. ;)

My old M-36 seems about right for me. I like revolvers for their reliability and 5 for sure. No jams, FTF, or FTE. No racking the slide to clear a misfire. All these problems would probably happen to me, at the worst possible time. I tend to fluster easily. I prefer not to go thru the drills......just pull the trigger again! Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ruger LC9? Looks very affordable. Haven't heard of it or it's reputation. I'll have to look into that one.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Two of my sons bought Kahrs. They both got rid of them as fast as possible. Unreliable, ergonomically not the most comfortable and as mentioned, the recoil spring is stout, limiting the ability of a wife or girlfriend to use it effectively.

George is right on when he suggests renting one. Then you can return it to the range and just walk away.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm looking at a Taurus "Millennium Pro 111BP-12" as a compact 9mm to have around the house for my wife.
It can be had here in Cleveland for $349.00 at a retail gun shop. Holds 12 in the mag. I had it in my hand and really like the feel
of it. Could be pulling the trigger on it soon.....
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why not take the boring approach and get another 3913? You're already totally familiar with it and like it so it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reactions: Bob K

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I do really like the 3913, but I was wanting something real similar, but smaller. Like I said, if I could find an affordable CS9, that would seem like the real no brainer.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Why not take the boring approach and get another 3913? You're already totally familiar with it and like it so it seems like a no-brainer to me.
There's alot to be said for sticking to one pistol that you are completely comfortable with. I would look for another 3913. I was going to suggest that.....but Bill beat me to it! :D I stick with S&W revolvers because they all operate the same, and I am comfortable carrying any of them. Thought about going to a semi-auto many times, but.......nah! I like to keep things the same ol'.....same ol'. Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had a CW9 for about a year, and I miss it. I should not have traded it off. I thought I had bought a jam-o-matic at first, but after about 100 or so rounds it smoothed out and ran like a top. The triggers on those are fantastic and they carry well. I did not think the slide was too difficult to rack back, but I have large hands so maybe that was why I did not have any problems. If I had the money, I would buy another in a heart beat! JMHO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Trust me, I have thought several times about another 3913, I really like it! But, I would really like something smaller, preferably a single stack, like the 3913. If I had to decide today, I would either buy an affordable S&W CS9 or a Ruger LC9. $450 or less is basically my price range and I would prefer to buy American.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
At one of my local gunshops, they wanted $399.99 for a Ruger LC9. With tax...you could be out the door for about $425. Read the gun test on GunBlast.com They really liked it! It has great features needed on a carry gun. This one was built to be carried. ;) Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to find someone who owns the LC9. I haven't found any negative reviews for it, it is affordable, made in the US, single stack small size, and seems to fire anything fed to it. Seems like a possible solution.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts