Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody can show off those pristine beauties we all drool over! How about this one, a common, run of the mill, rode hard put away wet, S&W M&P in 38 S&W Special with a 5” barrel. I am told from 1922 or early 1923.

I was visiting my elder brother and as I was leaving he handed it to me and said “keep it”. No kidding, did he think I was going to toss it in the lake? It needs some sprucing up and then I will pair it with my Springfield Model 1922 from 7/22.

so without further ado, here it is!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brother, if you've got one of those, unmodified, I take off my straw hat to you!
My Springfield Model 1922 has a barrel date of 7/22. It is a nearly pure 1922 with one minor exception. At some point, it was modified to centerfire and rechambered for the 22 Hornet. Externally it is indistinguishable from the 1922. It is only when you look at the bolt face you see the modification.

Kevin

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
My Springfield Model 1922 has a barrel date of 7/22. It is a nearly pure 1922 with one minor exception. At some point, it was modified to centerfire and rechambered for the 22 Hornet. Externally it is indistinguishable from the 1922. It is only when you look at the bolt face you see the modification.

Kevin
I knew this model was used in developing the Hornet, before any factory rifles were chambered for it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew this model was used in developing the Hornet, before any factory rifles were chambered for it.
Yes, Townsend Whelen surrounded himself at the Armory with some of the most outstanding gun tinkerers of the day. Wotkyns, Woody, and Woodworth all had input into the development what we know today as the Hornet. I hope that my rifle underwent conversion at the Armory but have no proof and the fact it is a single shot leads me to believe it was done outside the Armory.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today, I had the stocks off the CaD revolver and tried fitting other K magnas to it. None would go on. So I got some shirt cardboard and made a template. It appears the grip frame is bent slightly. Pondering over what to do.

Kevin

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Nice patina on that old 5" M&P.
That is one of many niche's I haven't filled yet.
I do have this one from the roaring '20s - but it is only a 4-incher

Never mind the N-frame stocks it is wearing - I've replaced them just haven't taken any new pics.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Original stocks are God only knows where. The ones that came on it are in the photographs. They are proud in some areas, shy in others. Enough so it is noticeable in the hand.

Kevin
I was thinking the one with the bent grip frame was the one without stocks on it. 'Cause I don't see stocks for that one. Are they both bent?

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Gotcha'

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.