Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums but can't find the answer so I hope someone can help me out. I bought a S&W 1076 (s/n THDxxx) and I assume its the commercial version. However it has the mag disconnect safety removed and on the right side it is factory stamped "caution - capable of firing with magazine removed". So does that feature make it an actual FBI gun or not necessarily...? Thx!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right- all the modern Smiths without mag disconnect safety say that but related to 1076's most of the photos I see of the right side of the slide do not have that. I assume/think that the default configuration for the 1076 was with a mag disconnect safety and (possibly?) only the FBI version could fire w/o the mag? Just trying to confirm that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The 1076 was used by other agencies other than the FBI. The Raleigh NC Police Dept carried them. I'm sure other agencies also did. The Virginia State Police had the model 1026 which was simply a five inch version of the 1076.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine is a Chesterfield P.D (VA) gun. Was built to FBI specs.
20200725_113723.jpg

20200725_113707.jpg

What makes an FBI 1076 an FBI gun is if it has a ship destination of Quantico. Many other dept's adopted the 1076, and there were several different build specs for the gun. Mag disconnect is one of many specs requested by the FBI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks 1stgen - that is what I needed to know. yours is marked with that awful warning like mine, so it sounds like "FBI configuration" but not "FBI model". So last question- what's it worth? (am looking to sell) Thx!

·
Registered
133 Posts
thanks 1stgen - that is what I needed to know. yours is marked with that awful warning like mine, so it sounds like "FBI configuration" but not "FBI model". So last question- what's it worth? (am looking to sell) Thx!
Value would be dependent on condition, of course, as well as if you have original serial # matching box, papers, tools, mags and the S&W rust paper.

Value would be somewhere between $ 800.00 to 1300.00 depending. FBI documented guns go for $ 2500.00 and up. As always, the bottom line is what someone is willing to pay for said gun. Posting pics here will greatly help in narrowing the numbers. Hope that helps.

Michael.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts