Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06E7DCF4-2093-407C-9AC9-FF6872A2199A.jpeg Bought this several months ago, fired it once. It had two chambers that were sticking on extraction. Took some four 0000 steel wool ( I really hope I haven’t screwed the pooch here!) and tried to polish the two offending chambers. That seems to have helped. Fired cases pop right out. The proof will be this wknd, when I can try to send a few rounds down range. If I read my 4th edition right, 1594XX should be 1952. Almost as old as I am!
Added a better picture in natural light!
5604EF8A-8459-4F43-9410-29B121239B88.jpeg

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jonesy- My son now has my 15-3. Missed that piece. When I shot bullseye, it was my centerfire piece. I was never very good, but that weapon made me a better looking shooter than I really was! When I saw this one on GB, I had to get it. Hank

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I doubt you hurt it with 0000 steel wool, but what I've found works just as well, and even less danger of damage is to cut patches from a "lead wipe-away" cloth and use them to scrub sticky chambers. You have to be careful not to rub a blue finish with the stuff, it will remove blue (but so will steel wool).

Now, that's a nice Model 15. I say all the time I go back and forth on which I like best, the Model 15 or the Model 19. Since this is about the Model 15, I like that one best. :)

Reactions: powrguy

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip,CB! That’s a 4”( a favorite of mine and you,too!) , 5 screw from 1952. I’m looking forward to Saturday!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
If you see an old fat guy with a walker. It’s probably me. ;)

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Registered
96 Posts
I doubt you hurt it with 0000 steel wool, but what I've found works just as well, and even less danger of damage is to cut patches from a "lead wipe-away" cloth and use them to scrub sticky chambers. You have to be careful not to rub a blue finish with the stuff, it will remove blue (but so will steel wool).

Now, that's a nice Model 15. I say all the time I go back and forth on which I like best, the Model 15 or the Model 19. Since this is about the Model 15, I like that one best. :)
That's how I cleaned mine up! A little coat of Flitz rifle, gun, & Knife Wax afterward and it looks like new!

IMAG0090.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts