Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Series 80 Colt gets grief from some. I disagree. :D These two are my favorites.

First the original Colt 70 Series (not the pre-70) was introduced in 1970. It had a collet bushing. Then the Series 80 was introduced (while the 70 was built in the Custom Shop). The Series 80 first came in 1983. There was no Series 90. :D

The Series 80 also first intoduced the XSE. Not everyone liked the XSE as it meant such things as the aluminum trigger (adjustable), the different hammer, the front slide serration (not on the GC), the ambi-safety (not here), the upswept beavertail (the CE), and the 8 +1 capacity. Some had the full-length guide rod. It was different than previous Colts. :eek:

IMO, the current Gold Cup Trophy and the Combat Elite are XSE's but on steriods. ;) They came from the factory with National Match (N.M.) barrels. The CG has adjustable BoMar (or Bo-Mar) rear sights. Here:

Colt (like S&W) can confuse you. The can place a spur hammer on one and go with a rich royal blue finish. They can remove the slide rollmark and replace it with the Colt logo. It still shoots well:

Gold Cup National Match and a XSET:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Beautiful Colts. I couldn't agree more. Having an XSE is like having a Smith with the internal lock. You just don't get no respect! I love my XSE Lightweight Commander it has been 100% reliable and a joy to shoot. The Combat Elite is next on the list with a Gold Cup to follow. The XSE's also have a lowered and flared ejection port and under cut trigger guard. A bunch of options that a lot of people paid to have added to their Series 70 pistols. The forward slide serrations are something I could live without but not a deal breaker for me.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The forward slide serrations are something I could live without but not a deal breaker for me.
I agree. I've never found any advantage in them.

I have never fired a Commander. I can't much imagine that it is much different than a Government (4.5" vs. 5" barrel). They even share the same size stocks and magazines. I guess the barrel and slide is 0.5" shorter?

I did have a LW Officer's (3.5"). I just never could learn how to shoot it well. So I traded it for two nice P&R Smiths. :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Great pistols. I have 3: a Gold Cup Trophy (stainless), a Series 80 Combat Elite (blue with flat-top), and a 1945 arsenal Remington-Rand with a Colt slide. All three shoot much better than I can. They all will shoot anything from semi-wadcutters to hollowpoints. With regrets to this great forum, it's my favorite caliber and pistol of all time. Smith & Wesson make the finest revolvers, without a doubt. Bill.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,
We think alike. I made this thread to show strangers that we don't just like S&W revolvers. ;) I'd love to own a WW2 Remington-Rand one day.

I still can't say which Series 80 XSE is the best one. I'd probably go with the Gold Cup. :confused: I'll state one thing. If a guy sees one of these around or below the following prices, I just don't think that you will be disappointed. It's going to be a fun .45 ACP shooter, and the resale price of a Colt has really held firm (or gone up).

Gold Cup Trophy: $1000-$1100 (98% with box and paperwork)
Combat Elite: $950-$1000 (ditto)
XSE (Blue, S.S., or Lightweight): $900-$1000

Here is my XSE (01070XSE) in brushed stainless steel. These have the "long recoil spring guide" which are cool. It has the forward serrations.

·
Super Moderator
34,438 Posts
Great looking Colts! We do have our share of fans of the Colt and other 1911 pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about you guys in other States, but a Colt 1911 is hard to find around here in good condition. I have been looking for one of these for almost 2 years. I found one used, but NIB.

I'm "fired up". ;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Wow! That one looks unfired! I run across Colt 1911s occasionally but not in that kind of shape. Congratulations! I'd like to add a Gold Cup to the collection but haven't found the right one yet.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Colt Double Eagle is/was the Series 90.
Yes, the Double Eagle was made from 1989 and 1997. It was a cool pistol but was out-flanked by Colt's own 1911.

I found this nice little pistol a month or so ago at a great price. It's one of the reasons why the Series 90 didn't do well. :D Just saying.

The 1911 Government Model .45 ACP XSE is darn good and has a massive after-market of parts and accessories available. Here's a stainless 01991 (aka, a 01091):

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's JMO.

The Colt Gold Cup National Match is the best modern 1911 every made. I promise.

This GCNM is really good. I bought it used after wanting one for a long time. Here:

I've tested them, and I predict that in 10 years that everyone will want one. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
I've got a few Colt's too.
A Commander in 9mm, a 1991-A1 Sereis 80 and a 380 Mustang Pocketlite. All 3 are great pistols.

The 9mm Commander will be getting some custom work done to it once I figure out everything I want to change on it.

The 1991-A1 is a perfect shooter and handles extremely well. It'll shoot 2" groups at 10 yds easily.

The 380 Mustang had Failure to eject issues. I replaced the guide rod spring with a better design and it's been flawless ever since.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice Gregory.

I hate to admit that I have never shot a .380. It's not my fault. I blame it on someone else (I am not or have never been a democrat ;) ).

·
Premium Member
12,673 Posts
This is my late 1990s GC Trophy Match:

DSC0109NoSer.jpg

Purchased used last year from a dealer near Chicago... Probably my best 1911a1...

Marc

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my late 1990s GC Trophy Match:
Very nice.

Just saying. The 1990's had a lot of different Gold Cups. Many were made only in one year or two and mostly by the Colt Custom Shop. That looks like, to me, to be one of the ~1997 one's. Regardless and what year (you may be able to check it on the Colt website), it's going to be a special one.

Reactions: mrerick

·
Premium Member
12,673 Posts
Hi,

The Colt site doesn't hit on the serial number. Very likely done by the custom shop. The fitting is particularly good on this one.

We tend to forget that these pistols are, to quite an extent, hand crafted. The right people working on the line make a great deal of difference.

I think 1997 is reasonable for a born on date for my GCNM Trophy... Thanks for the heads up! Marc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts