Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have a love of the colt SAA? With all the smith&Wesson's that I own, my first love is still the colt SAA. Followed closely by the colt 45 acp.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can see in my avatar that I am sporting a pair of SAA clones made for Cimmaron by Pieta. SAAs are much easier to work on than Ruger Vaqueros and I love the four click hammer and the half cock. Makes me feel like a real gunfighter. Still can't afford a genuine Colt though. Probably never will.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, here's a little heresy for you:

The Colt mistique died for me back when they came out with the Officer's ACP. I sold the best Combat Commander I ever saw, customized by a now-retired gunsmith/artist, in order to buy an Officer's ACP. It NEVER worked. It went to Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, and Bill couldn't make it work. He sent it back to Colt twice. Colt couldn't make it work.

My one and only SAA was sacrificed along with several others prized firearms in order to finance the 2nd divorce. I hated losing that 5 1/2" 44 Special, but it was worth it. I'll never replace it; I like my Cimarron Model P (by Uberti) better. The only Colt I have left is my "town gun," a Series 70 .45 that I used to shoot IPSC with back in ancient times.

I could happily live the rest of my life and never own another Colt. Give me a Smith (without the d**n lock) or a Ruger for the wheels, a Kimber or a Springfield for the 1911 platform, and I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parson45 I'm sorry you had such bad luck with that officers model. their isn't a manufacture of fire arms that doesn't put out a lemon once in a while. I personally like my colts very much, their made in America and that means a lot to me. I also like the history of the firearm. I'm not very high tec so they fit right in to my mind set. :)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I'm with Parson45, to a point. I never owned a Colt SA, by the time I got interested enough to buy one the prices turned me off. I do have Ruger Vacqueros and a couple of Italian Bisleys. My best pal is in somewhat of a ditther over the fact that his Ubertis outshoot his Colt SA.

As to the 1911, my first one was a series 70 Govt. model. It would jam occassionaly and bent the brass when ejecting. A friend, who was an armorer for the Coast Guard when they carried the 1911, fixed the problem, new ejector, opened the ejection port and put a coil spring out of a 1954 Buick Roadmaster (least it feels like it) as the recoil spring. Now I love it. . .I had to send my Colt Combat Commander back to the factory to get it to function properly.

I know the Colt SA has a following and is a prized classic. There are many of the forum who feel as you do, I am sure. I like the looks of one; why shouldn't I, I sat through enough cowboy movies as a kid.
Still I'm a dedicated S&W double action guy, who appreciates classic handguns but saves money for what I like to shoot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My two Colt SAs:

3rd generation New Frontier .44 Special

1st generation SAA .357, King short action, King hammer, trigger, sights. I love this gun

Illustrating the King short action

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin how many clicks does that short throw hammer have? Does the short hammer fall help shoot tighter groups? :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
c pierce said:
Kevin how many clicks does that short throw hammer have? Does the short hammer fall help shoot tighter groups? :)
Three clicks to the short action. I dunno if it's the short hammer throw or not but I've shot 1 1/4" groups at 50' (off hand, .38 Special load of 148 gr WC and 3.3 grains Bullseye), including the flier. Others could do much better than that though! ;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kevin at 50 yards that is phenomenal. I'll bet the shorter hammer fall helps a lot with follow through.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Like Parson, I sold my only one.
It was to finance the purchase of a Triplelock.
That was years ago.
The real sad part of the deal was that the Colt was given to me in forgiveness of a $ 75 debt. :shock:
I love my Ruger flattops, BUT...
I'd like to have a nice 2nd generation SAA again, preferably before I die! nfiofnp
Don

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have several. Nothing special or exotic; just basic, no frills Colt Single Action Armys. I've owned one or more since I was a teenager. Just one first generation and the rest are second generation. My favorite shooter is a 1960 .38 Special with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. I bought my first new SAA, a .45 Colt, at Osco's Drug Store in Pocatello, Idaho for $125.00 and tax. Later, in Germany, I ordered them direct from the Colt factory and had them shipped to my APO address. Ossifers could do that.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I could ever sell, give away or trade any of them. I guess I'm just stuck on the Colt "cowboy gun." :cool:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QC They are defiantly not the most accurate, Naur do they hold the most rounds. They are slow to reload, But god help me do I love them. ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Mr. Pierce, I feel your pain. This'll give you an idea how much I like my Colt thumb busters. I paid $150.00 for an Idaho Leather Co., engraved belt and holster with silver conchos for a gun that cost $125.00 new. perkgfn

That was back when Nixon was still president. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
When it comes to single action revolvers, my first love has for years been Rugers. After so many years I could still not get the thought of owning a Colt SAA out of my mind. So about two years ago I bought my first one and it has been without any regrets at all.
With a 7.5" barrel, the balance is perfect for me. The feel is different than any other revolver. I'm hooked.
Now, I will not be parting with any Smith's or my Rugers, but another Colt SAA is in my future for sure.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
WHOA, Len! :shock:
That 1892 engraved SAA... hpzl;n; kfjdrfirii
Don

1 - 20 of 25 Posts