Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I am going thru my guns updating my inventory lists and I came across this Colt revolver that I find little to no information on. I can say that I know it's been poorly refinished in nickle, and all of the roll marks have been polished out.
My photo album indicates this is a Colt Police Positive .32 rimfire. I don't think that's correct, the firing pin/hammer looks like it's made for a centerfire cartridge. I find nothing of that cartridge on the web with this type of revolver.
I can tell you that my .32 S&W (short) drops into the cylinder very easily, and there seems to be a bit of slop with it.
The cylinder is 1.25" long with a rebated cylinder bore. It has a 4" barrel. The grips are genuine stag, and I'm going to guess that they're more valuable than the revolver is in this condition.

Serial number is 32764.
Any help you can share would be greatly appreciated

20200527_090612(SM).jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that I know what I'm looking for I'm pretty sure it's a Colt New Police in .32. I can only guess it's in .32 Long Colt
It is much smaller framed than the Police Positive's I can find, and the left side plate lines match the photo's for a New Police model.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16,926 Posts
I have done research on the older 32 ammo and the 32 Colt Long is a little bigger in diameter than the 32 S&W Long. Not sure what that would do to the 32 S&W case. Very nice old Pony even if a little abused.

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done research on the older 32 ammo and the 32 Colt Long is a little bigger in diameter than the 32 S&W Long. Not sure what that would do to the 32 S&W case.
I figured it had to be a Colt cartridge, since the S&W was sloppy in the chamber. I don't have any .32 Long Colt ammo, so I'll try to find somebody that does so I can see if it's the correct fit.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
It appears you have settled on the New Police; I concur. In the range of 1906. The last time I checked there was plenty of .32 Short Colt in modern Winchester loading, for a price of course.

For those interested Colt's labeled their S&W chambered guns as ./32 or .38 "New Police", adding to the confusion. I suppose revenge for S&W stretching their .38 Long Colt and naming it .38 S&W Special. FYI this is the gun Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt bought for the NYPD during his tenure.

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it shoots .32 Short Colt? Not Long Colt?

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I am remembering (?) the short cartridges originated in the conversion (from cap & ball) guns and grew long with the introduction of swing out cylinders. I want to believe they are the same case diameters but do not have my references here at work. I will check this evening. Since Winchester has produced the short in recent history, I am assuming a one size fits all scenario.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
A quick web search appears to affirm my recollection that you can fire shorts in a long chamber.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Okay, home with the book. The only significant dimensional difference is case length. .65 versus .92. Recommended loads for both 80 gr. LRN with 1.5 grs B'eye for the Short (600 fps) and 2.1 grs B'eye for the Long (770 fps). Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversion.

My 1906 dating found on Proofhouse.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts