Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had both of these guns to the range and The 14 is around 1962 while the Colt is 1915. Both are well balance and great shooters. I decided to try to perform a function test of them both trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. Targets were identical, place at 15 yards. Used the same ammunition, Berry's plated DEWC at 148 grains over 3 gr of Titegroup with Magtech small pistol primers. I did this same thing for 4 range trips as wanted to try to eliminate my influence of maybe just a bad day. The targets here represent the best for each gun. I did leave both guns as I got them, no enhanced sights or such. The Colt and the S&W both fit my hands comfortably and felt very balanced.The 14 had the Red insert in the sights and was a little easier to sight up quickly. Both guns were very smooth in both DA and SA (I used DA for this comparison, but feel SA would be more accurate). The Colt had 6 inch barrel and the S&W had 4 inch barrel. This was at indoor range so weather not a factor.
I have decided that basically besides age, both are excellent shooters and do what they were made for, Target Competition with aim to win. With my abilities I think both of these guns in the right hands would produce very identical targets. Only difference I experienced was the S&W sights were easier to use. Very satisfied I have them both. Lot of fun.

·
Registered
26,235 Posts
Nicely done! Was the shooting in SA or DA?

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Very nice shooting Rodney! I have a near twin to your Colt OMM from 1956 and my model 14 with 6" bbl is a 1974 based on the serial #. Both are great shooters and not enough difference in accuracy to make any difference. In my hands, the model 14 is more comfortable with the Eagle stocks on it. I am biased, but to my eyes, the Smith looks more elegant.

·
Registered
30,107 Posts
Great shooting with some fine revolvers.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice shooting Rodney! I have a near twin to your Colt OMM from 1956 and my model 14 with 6" bbl is a 1974 based on the serial #. Both are great shooters and not enough difference in accuracy to make any difference. In my hands, the model 14 is more comfortable with the Eagle stocks on it. I am biased, but to my eyes, the Smith looks more elegant. View attachment 477753 View attachment 477752
That is a very nice pair of guns and do agree about the 14 Elegance but still with the Colt over 100 years old and still shoots like that is a testament to what we always say about the artistic quality of handmade guns.

·
Registered
26,235 Posts
Did the test using DA but think SA may be a lot better. In SA both were very short but crisp action. Not Hair trigger but very light. Both in the DA were very smooth.
I'd love to get that in SA; DA for me would look more like a large shotgun blast

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
I had both of these guns to the range and The 14 is around 1962 while the Colt is 1915. Both are well balance and great shooters. I decided to try to perform a function test of them both trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. Targets were identical, place at 15 yards. Used the same ammunition, Berry's plated DEWC at 148 grains over 3 gr of Titegroup with Magtech small pistol primers. I did this same thing for 4 range trips as wanted to try to eliminate my influence of maybe just a bad day. The targets here represent the best for each gun. I did leave both guns as I got them, no enhanced sights or such. The Colt and the S&W both fit my hands comfortably and felt very balanced.The 14 had the Red insert in the sights and was a little easier to sight up quickly. Both guns were very smooth in both DA and SA (I used DA for this comparison, but feel SA would be more accurate). The Colt had 6 inch barrel and the S&W had 4 inch barrel. This was at indoor range so weather not a factor.
I have decided that basically besides age, both are excellent shooters and do what they were made for, Target Competition with aim to win. With my abilities I think both of these guns in the right hands would produce very identical targets. Only difference I experienced was the S&W sights were easier to use. Very satisfied I have them both. Lot of fun.

View attachment 477709

View attachment 477711

View attachment 477713
View attachment 477716

View attachment 477717
Rod, You shot those two pistols about as Equal as could be.....Great Shoot'n Pard! I like that load and shoot it in my M28. Great post....keep'em comin! Good Shoot'n....!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts