Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Colt Gold Cup Enhanced Series 80. I bought this new in the early to mid 90's. It's the "Enhanced Model", which gets you a few extras like the drop in style beavertail safety, the commander style hammer and a lowered and flared ejection port. The serial number ends with an 'E' which I always thought was related to the enhanced model.

For mods I had a gunsmith install a Videcki trigger and do a trigger job to get it closer to a series 70 trigger. I replaced the pebble rubber wrap around grips with these Colt wood grips and added Brownell's torx head grip screws. I replaced the plastic straight mainspring housing with a Wilson aluminum checkered straight MSH, added a Wilson two piece full length guide rod and their shock buffer and added the Wilson checked front strap piece between the grips.

I saved all of the original parts that were replaced including the two original 7 and 8 round magazines, in their place i use a Wilson 7 and an 8 round magazine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
This enhanced model also came in Stainless:

GCNM.jpg

This shows the factory rubber grips. Yup. It's a tack driver.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,508 Posts
This is a Colt Gold Cup Enhanced Series 80. I bought this new in the early to mid 90's. It's the "Enhanced Model", which gets you a few extras like the drop in style beavertail safety, the commander style hammer and a lowered and flared ejection port. The serial number ends with an 'E' which I always thought was related to the enhanced model.....
I have never heard of the "Enhanced Model" as it relates to Colt 1911's.

I did own a 2011 Colt Combat Elite (Model 08011XSE). It also had an "E" at the end of the serial number. I think Colt combined resources to survive the Great Recession of 2008.

I think that I have owned a dozen or more Colt 1911's. My humble opinion is that the latest Colt Gold Cup pistols are the best ones. I have a Gold Cup Trophy in .45 ACP:

And two Colt Gold Cup National Match guns in .45 ACP:

I like the newer ones due to modern CNC machine work.

That said, my favorite revolvers are from 1959-1965.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice photos guys and Gals. I like Colts too. My 80 series enhanced pistols all have serial numbers ending with "E". I have never taken pictures of these for some reason, I only have a pic of my 70 series National Match. It's a lousy pic but I'm a toolmaker, not a photographer.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lets see, I have one of the Newer Series 70 Gold Cups, (MFG. December 2015)...Mine for some reason came with Cocobola Grips...Yes I bought it new. I think these grip Panels look better then what they are putting on the Gold Cups today..AND She’s a shooter too !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Lets see, I have one of the Newer Series 70 Gold Cups, (MFG. December 2015)...Mine for some reason came with Cocobola Grips...Yes I bought it new. I think these grip Panels look better then what they are putting on the Gold Cups today..AND She’s a shooter too !

I see the 71 in the prefix of the serial number. Those are great 1911's. I had no idea that a 71-prefix was made as a Gold Cup in 2015.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I found a picture of my 2011 Series 70:

It is not a Gold Cup but a regular Series 70 reproduction with a 71Bxxxx number. It has a good story which is backed with Colt factory paperwork.

I bought it in 2011. It would not eject shells properly. I called Colt to get a shipping number. I sent it back.

They sent it back to me (no charge) with a new ejector and included a new National Match barrel. It works good now.

---
I also have a 100 Yr Mark IV Government:

And a 01991 (1991A1):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts