Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in to my LGS today and there under glass was the Colt Gold Cup I've been looking for in the last few weeks.
It's a Series '70 and in nice condition, no holster wear, just some signs of being fired some, probably someones range gun.
Gold Cup 1980.jpg It came with two satin nickel magazines and had aftermarket laminated wood grips that I didn't like so I put these Rosewood grips on it from my woodpile, until I can find something more suitable. Colt serial number lookup says it was built in 1980.
I'd been surfing the web at all the usual suspect sites and couldn't find a nice Gold Cup at a fair price. Sometimes patience pays off, or as I sometimes say I'd rater be lucky than good....

Registered
Stopped in to my LGS today and there under glass was the Colt Gold Cup I've been looking for in the last few weeks.
It's a Series '70 and in nice condition, no holster wear, just some signs of being fired some, probably someones range gun.
View attachment 410705 It came with two satin nickel magazines and had aftermarket laminated wood grips that I didn't like so I put these Rosewood grips on it from my woodpile, until I can find something more suitable. Colt serial number lookup says it was built in 1980.
I'd been surfing the web at all the usual suspect sites and couldn't find a nice Gold Cup at a fair price. Sometimes patience pays off, or as I sometimes say I'd rater be lucky than good....
Great find, at the rate you get lucky buying nice guns you may need a walk in vault.

Premium Member
Very Nice. I like it. The trigger is rather unique. Was that a factory offering or is it aftermarket?
That's the factory Gold Cup trigger of the era, if you look closely at the bottom of the trigger cutout, you can see the adjusting screw for the trigger over travel.

This is my Series '70 GC that I bought new in 1983 for $412.00, using my dealer FFL... way back when, when it was easy to get an 01 FFL and the local authorities or officials didn't even blink an eye over it.

LH S70 Gold Cup.JPG

Premium Member
Congratulations on a fine M1911a1. These are refined in so many subtle ways.

I also looked for one for a long time before encountering one when traveling several years ago. It was used, but in very high condition - and the price was remarkable. The decision was fast after I handled it and checked out the workmanship...

M1911a1GoldCup.jpg

Mine is a Series 80.

Registered
Great find LEO as I do like the Gold Cups. Just have not found right one yet. I have shot a few and do like the way they shoot.

Premium Member
Yesiree, I grew-up with a bunch of gun folks that considered 1911's and Hi Powers to be among the few auto-loaders (non revolvers) reliable enough to be primary defense handguns.....

My stable is currently without a Gold Cup but there are several 1911's & HP's.....

1911sColt-Norinco-WinchesterToothpickKnife_03.jpg

BrowningHPBlueChrome_01.JPG

Leo, you very frequently come up with some fine firearms...........................

Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
I have no clue how Leo can find a great deal every month while it takes me forever (OK, he works harder at it). He also has The Midas Touch. :D

I have a few Colt 1911's with the National Match Barrel:
1) This is a Colt Gold Cup Match from 2012 (bought unfired--but not anymore):

2) This is a Colt Gold Cup Trophy from ~1999/2000 (bought unfired and now stays in my car). I'd say well over 1500 rounds thru it.

3) This is a Colt 70 replica. I am including it since it has a factory installed Gold Cup National Match barrel (I have the paper work--it was due to a warranty issue on the regular 70):

4-Honorable Mention) OK, it is not a Gold Cup, but it is a Leo-type buy. It's a 100th Colt Anniversary Tier III bought unfired . I had one ordered and got this one for <<$200 under my ordered price (now fired):

I had the pleasure of meeting Leo and getting some of his knowledge. He was sitting there polishing on a perfect rare Colt Python short barrel revolver that he just got in a trade.

He needs to be our next U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts