Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a very nice Colt Frontier Scout Revolver today, used, one owner. While shooting it, the barrel came loose, it started rotating, you could actually turn it with your fingers, easily. I called the dealer I got it from, who promptly offered my money back, but I'd much rather have the little gun fixed. I took the ejector rod off, and screwed the barrel all the way off the gun. I wiped the oil off the threads, then re-installed everything, making sure to tighten the barrel (but not torque the snot out of it). Went back out to shoot it, and now, well, she shoots to the right, bad. I did not bend the front sight. I think I should have my dealer send it back to Colt, which he'll gladly handle, but I wonder, will they take care of me, or on a gun this old tell me to get lost. Any other suggestions? Any help/advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Redneck,
On a fixed-sight handgun, a barrel that's not tightened to correct dead-center will result in the front sight's being cocked to one side or the other.
The rest you have witnessed.
I would have a competent local gunsmith reset the barrel.
It may need to be 'turned', and the forcing cone re-done.
Colt was still doing some repair work a couple years ago, but I don't know what their policy on older guns is.
Call 1-800-962-2658. That's the colt line to Beverly Holt in the history dept.
I'll bet she can refer you to wherever you need to be.
Good luck.
Don
;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It used to be that Colt gunsmiths would use a thin brass shim between the barrel and frame to tighten up the barrel to the frame. Don't know what they do now, but that's how I would replace the barrel when I had your problem. Worked pretty good; as good as new, in fact. Used that technique on a Colt Trooper and a Colt 1917 and they still shoot as well as they ever did.

Do what you think is best and makes you comfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts