Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like most of you I have heard all of the back-and-forth between Colt and its hapless Bondholders for the last several days, and while it is saddening that such an American Icon gunmaker has filed for bankruptcy twice in the last 25 years, and somehow missed out on the "Obama Buying Surge", it also made me realize that I had never owned a Single Action revolver in 22 LR. So while strolling through the LGS I happened across this little fellow, a nickel Frontier Scout made in 1970, and so I added another Rampant Pony to the collection for $300 out the door, and Big Brother Python now has some Colt company in the Gun Cabinet. Can't wait to shoot this little guy tomorrow at the range. Hopefully it will go smoother for me than for Colt restructuring.....ryperp

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Why,

That SA "Pony", is a fine companion for the Python!

For $300.00? Are the sirens getting closer? LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: Whysoserious

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That's a sharp looking 22. If it shoots like most of them you'll need to find some more 22 shells. I've got one of the 9 1/2
Buntlines models that I really like. Cliff

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The bankruptcy thing definitely has me thinking about getting another older Colt revolver before they get too expensive to justify. With a gun show scheduled this weekend, I'll be looking for series 70 1911s and any older revolvers. The "modern stuff can go home with someone else.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bankruptcy thing definitely has me thinking about getting another older Colt revolver before they get too expensive to justify. With a gun show scheduled this weekend, I'll be looking for series 70 1911s and any older revolvers. The "modern stuff can go home with someone else.
Amen, Brother. Believe it or not the two guns pictured above are right now the only two Colt's that I own. The Snake revolvers have shot up so much in price that you are looking at a couple $$$grand for guns that look like they have been drug behind a car for 10 miles of gravel road. I always have my eye out for a good value like that little .22 I just picked up, but they are very much fewer and farther between. Good luck searching at the gun show.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I imagine the brand name will eventually survive in some new form, but the older "Good" Colts will go the same way USFA did. Gone forever and higher prices every year and they'll just continue to ride on the name. I like the older Colt revolvers and these two little .32's are perfect examples with one being mfg. in 1926 and the other in 1956. Gone are the days of hand fitting internal parts together like a fine watch.
Colt .32S&W 010.JPG Colt .32S&W 002.JPG

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I imagine the brand name will eventually survive in some new form, but the older "Good" Colts will go the same way USFA did. Gone forever and higher prices every year and they'll just continue to ride on the name. View attachment 47039 View attachment 47040
I think you are correct, to be honest the quality of the older Colt's was already gone in Hartford, and IMHO was completely gone once they moved out of the Blue Dome factory. But you never know, CZ bought Dan Wesson a few years ago and those guns seem to be better than ever now. :confused:

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
It seems there is an Indian tribe interested in buying colt. From what I read about it they have deep pockets and want to keep Colt's alive. I forgot the name of the tribe.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Colt Bankruptcy will never be enough incentive to have a panic buy. I have made my dislike for Colt will know here on this forum in the past. Colt only make 3 guns well.. The Single Action Army, The 1911 Government Model and the Colt AR-15.. While the Python was a good gun it never was a rugged and reliable under hard usage. The actions were to fragile and could not stand up to the rigors of extremely hard use .. Colt let some of their best patents die . The never responded to public demands and made guns that were increasingly to expensive for the general public to buy. WHY UNIONS .. The Unions have destroyed Colt. Colt has failed to keep up with modernization . The Colt Auto 2000 was a dismal failure, Their light weight Commander .45, the frames cracked and a hollow point bullet dented the feed ramp. Their quality control got so bad that FN now makes the AR 15s used by the military. They lost the military contracts completely. Their attempt to revive the Colt New Frontier fell on failure as no body was going to pay $1,800.00 a copy for one. Their final attempt is to revive is the old Colt Pocket Officers Model in .380. It to will be a failure,, it will be to expensive for the common man to buy and everybody know's the .380 craze is over. Smaller lighter 9mm pistols by Smith Wesson, Ruger and Springfield are selling like hotcakes. Again Colt motto " to Much To Little To Late. has plagued them for the last 15 years. Its time for Colt to fade away. Yes they will be a part of American History forever but their hay days are long gone. For Colt collectors they invest in Colts like gold or Silver. But never have the pleasure of shooting because if a Colt is not new in box with all paperwork then true collectors are not interested. That leaves the rest of us to buy when we can. Sorry I won't panic buy. I can get 2 Smiths for the price of one Colt and have fun.. Why won't I shoot my Colts if you break in you wont find any parts to replace it.. and gunsmiths charge a fortune to make the parts. Nope its your choice but there is no way Ill buy a Colt unless is a TRULY EXCEPTIONAL deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts