Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
If I could have only one gun,that would be the one.
f.t.

·
Registered
197 Posts
fat tom said:
f.t.

I agree, and I still have the "second" one I ever owned ( traded my 1911 A-1 GI for this , in the late 60's...)

:-bd

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Not too long ago, you used to be able to buy Colt Commemorative 1911 A1s - like the various WWI & WWII Commems - for much less that the regular production models. When I got this one cheap, there weren't any of the 1911 clones around - just expensive customs. Later, I acquired two of the Springfield clones, but prefer my gaudy Colt, and so, handed off the S'fields.

Here is a photo of a Colt PTO Commem. with about a dozen drop-in parts, checkered rosewood grips, and Novak Combat Sights. Colt Commemorative collectors squeal at my blasphemy, but I love it as a fine shooter! Besides, I like nickle-plated 1911s - they look really big and formitable in low light.

xtm

·
Registered
116 Posts
here is my Series 70 GCNM, i bought when they first came out and then sent to Clark for his work, this is a keeper.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dant said:
fat tom said:
f.t.

I agree, and I still have the "second" one I ever owned ( traded my 1911 A-1 GI for this , in the late 60's...)

:-bd
I have over 200 smith&Wesson's, but my heart and true love is with the COLT 1911. When my life is on the line I will go to my 1911. When I go to the range my 1911's go with me. You can call me a heretic but thats how I feel. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, what about the 1991A1's ~ can we count those :eek:

Here's my 1991A1 Compact, LRM

Here's my favorite, a Series 80 platform....

giz

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Does Ithaca Gun Co., Inc. count? I just picked up a very nice example that completes my collection by year of manufacture for Ithacas. :mrgreen: fnovnpoa

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
QC is here!

Welcome!

If you talk about that set of Ithacas, you'd better post a photo of 'em! These fellows will hound you until you do.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
QC you old desert rat! You got all of the war time ithacas? That's Impressive! Must've had to sell alot of that Peach Shine to fund this hunt.....

Drew

·
Registered
132 Posts
i guess i do too. 1 series 70, 1 pre series 70(1950), 1 LW Commander, 1 colt 1911, 2 colt 1911A1s, 2 Rem Rands, 2 Ithacas, 1 US&S. i think that is all. lee

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
lee barner said:
i guess i do too. 1 series 70, 1 pre series 70(1950), 1 LW Commander, 1 colt 1911, 2 colt 1911A1s, 2 Rem Rands, 2 Ithacas, 1 US&S. i think that is all. lee

Thats all, huh? :eek: ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Well, okay, I don't do pictures. There were only three years that Ithaca made the 1911 - 1943, 1944 and 1945. But, and this is a big butt! ;) , there were 6 serial number blocks three of which overlapped years of production. Except for three that fell entirely within one year. So, I ended up buying a total of nine just to make sure I had one from each year of production. Probably doesn't make sense to some who aren't as anal as I am about getting things right but, that's the way it is. Okay, so I'm not as anal as I pretend. There are about 60 Ithacas out there that were assembled in December of 1942 from "borrowed & bought" parts from various sources. I discount those 'cause I'm in denial. That plus my chances of latching onto one of them is slim to none.

Whoa Nelly! Dark Cavity? I'm ROTFLMDark Cavity Off!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
132 Posts
QC, one of my colt's is in one of the ithaca serial ranges. some mix up at springfield armory caused about 120-130,000 guns to have duplicate serial numbers. my early, first contract ithaca looks like it was michined in a first year high school machine shop class.

sorry i haven't figured out the pic thing either. i can email them to someone if they want to post them.

lee

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Send em on up to me Lee.... I know you have my address..... I'll put 'em up for you....

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
My Friend Lee has kindly sent us some photos of his fine .45's.

I'll let him narrate.

Lee here's your snapshots.... I've uploaded them in Numercial Order....

Drew

1 - 20 of 43 Posts